Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatic or stick shift ?
Range rover is a tarts handbag.

The only time they really go off road is when the driver is on thier mobile and they clip a curb.
Our fleet of neenaa's are automatic BMW 3 series. Great spec, very fast, fairly economical too (apart from the twin turbo 3.5litre guzzler).

I don't know much about cars, but I know they can go quick and that I am allowed to drive them quick. Nothing beats a Sunday morning first shout up the motorway at 150 ;-)
(12-02-2014, 08:49 PM)Rick Wrote: Range rover is a tarts handbag.
The only time they really go off road is when the driver is on thier mobile and they clip a curb.

Lol. The good old Daily Mail readers mantra on 4x4's Big Grin

Other than farmers why would anyone want to take a shiny expensive RRover off road? I really never get why people think you would consider doing that.

I've had series III landrover and the Suzuki Jeeps for 'off roading'. You go off road in those kind of vehicles. Vehicles that you don't care about when they get badly damaged - or sink in 4ft of bog. (We spent a morning digging, winching and eventually dragging the SIII out of just such a bog).
Mind you - There are hardly any places open to go drive them off road anymore thanks to Peak Parks and Councils.

If you have a family, live in Eg. The Peaks and want a versatile people/luggage/bike carrier and trailer/ caravan puller that won't get stuck the minute we get snow then you can't beat a proper (permanent) 4wd with enough weight to use it. Take your pick from any of the premium big 4x4's. (Not the softroaders like a girls best friend the X1 Wink).
I'd have an RRover tomorrow after struggling with the size of the Merc C220 Sport boot. Bloody nightmare for a growing family and the minute you get ice/snow it just sits there spining its back wheels like its on a turbo trainer! Family/practical saloon my arse.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
(12-03-2014, 02:45 AM)Shelley Wrote: Our fleet of neenaa's are automatic BMW 3 series. Great spec, very fast, fairly economical too (apart from the twin turbo 3.5litre guzzler).
I don't know much about cars, but I know they can go quick and that I am allowed to drive them quick. Nothing beats a Sunday morning first shout up the motorway at 150 ;-)

3 series autos are ridiculously ecenomical. Was looking at a 3 series 2 litre Petrol X drive 'Touring'. Not to buy, just out of interest. Quick car and still returning over 45mpg iirc. Brilliant for a petrol. The diesel 3 series autos are daft mpg and comparably quick.

That Sunday morning first shout sounds very appealing! Cool Big Grin
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
The fleet are all diesels, I should have added that. It wouldn't have been heard of a few years back - auto diesel pursuit cars!!

We've got the 318d touring as a family car and can't fault it at all. Definitely the way to go for boot space.

I wouldn't turn down a RR either, lovely looking. They mean business!
(12-01-2014, 05:02 PM)Rick Wrote: I had the 3 series beemer the week before. I thought it was much better. But still shit boot space.

Admittedly when I did floor the X1 it would move, but unfortunately there was no sport setting on the X1 lie there was on the 3 series. I wanted the end again but the gits at the rental car place had given the last one away.

I had the 330Ci M sport and thought the boot was mahoosive considering it was a coupe.

As for stick or auto it all depends on the car. My Smart Brabus has tip shift, full auto or paddles and the full auto is crap unless you anticipate the change and adjust the throttle. Occasionally it sort of looses track of what the revs/gear relationship is and holds onto the lower gear too long. Paddles/tip are more responsive.

My brother in law has a Merc A class for running around town in and I reckon it's brilliant. The auto shift is seamless and is so smooth you really don't notice it's changing gear.

Like Kingy said BM's are pretty basic until you start adding 'options' which you wouldn't get on a rental.
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
I'd be happy with a little jimny to get me to work and back instead of public shitty transport.....
Ziggy
(12-03-2014, 04:23 PM)ziggy Wrote: I'd be happy with a little jimny to get me to work and back instead of public shitty transport.....

A neighbour of mine bought one as a run around the winter we had really heavy snow. Talk about lucky timing! He said it was a bit 'agricultural' but was brilliant and went anywhere. Sold it (and got his money back) as the snow went as he needed something a bit bigger, but was sold on a 4wd vehicle after snow ploughing in the Jimny.
(12-03-2014, 04:23 PM)ziggy Wrote: I'd be happy with a little jimny to get me to work and back instead of public shitty transport.....

Brilliant little 'get out of the clag' motors. My daughter has the next one up from there ...Vitara SWB T reg 1ltr. Scabby looking thing cost her £500.00 but even the garage she uses for her MoT etc said it was worth repairing when she faced a £300.00 bill and they are an honest outfit that would have said scrap it if they felt it wasn't worth keeping.

(12-03-2014, 02:45 AM)Shelley Wrote: Our fleet of neenaa's are automatic BMW 3 series. Great spec, very fast, fairly economical too (apart from the twin turbo 3.5litre guzzler).

Pah....My M sport was just getting out of 2nd gear at that speed........hehe
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.