Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatic or stick shift ?
Well, Ziggy and I arrived back to earth with a bump this morning.

I've been driving a X1 automatic last week. I have to say I was stunningly unimpressed. It handled ok enough. The automatic great change was pants; especially since it was only a 2 ltr. It was clearly designed fore eco mode so it shifted into a high a gear as possible far too quickly. Damn i loathed it, plus there was sod all room in the boot, I had to remove the cover thing in the back to get our cases in. Plus the switches were just so cheap and tacky it was really sad.
I would have to agree with Clarkson, if you buy this thing your a turnip. It was shit.
I always think driving an auto is like driving with a rubber band between the engine and gearbox, it takes a while for the gearbox to catch up.

only time it's any use is in heavy stop start traffic
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember
I bought my 1st ever auto last year which is a VW DSG,
I quite like it, I can use the paddles, use the stick or shove it in auto (normal/sport).
Responsive enough but obviously it cant read ahead and makes the the occasional unnecessary shift.
I've had a couple and just swaped my last toy (a 330ci convertible) for a manual 3.0 Z4
I've had a couple of auto's in the past and they have there uses and can be fun and also help you to have a lazy time when needed.
A bit like christof said, mine had sports mode which helped you light up the tyres and was a steptronic also, you could use the lever to shift up and down manualy.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
The X1 is just a one series though - so essentially a very small entry level (compact) car. BMWs are ALWAYS poverty spec aswell. You buy upgrade packs when you order a new one and they just won't have been there in a rental (each pack is a few grand) so it will have been very basic. Probably an SE model too rather than Sport? (If so less bhp, softer suspension and designed for comfort and economy in preference to speed).
If you wanted boot space you needed to be X3 (medium size) or X5 (full size). If you wanted more power/revs you needed manual 2 litre or Auto 3 litre (which is a rocket ship).

Bear in mind too that the 'X' element is not 4wd. It is simply an electronic transfer box that powers one wheel that is struggling. It does work well with the right tyre choice (Scorpion ST's or winter tyres) but if called on is next door to useless with 'road' tyres.

My Merc was an auto. (Just got rid of it). C220 Sport. That was a 7 speed box with two modes. (One for economy and one for sport - two different maps). If you left it in economy it was leisurely GT Tourer style. Set off in second gear and change gear sooner.
In sport it set off in first and held revs much longer.
I never had an issue with the auto box and was very impressed. It was a quick car. It also had 'manual' shift with paddles (gimmicky) and steptronic. (Push lever to side to change up/down gear). Best of both worlds really.
But, chuck in the stop/start and auto brake (depress brake pedal hard and brake is on like handbrake until you input again) and just jumping in and driving is not that easy. You need a couple of weeks to adjust to how the auto box works combined with start stop etc.
Once you get your head around it I don't think you would go back to a manual. It's a learning curve though and very easy to be put off if you don't have time to learn how to drive one properly.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Only time I use auto is at race circuits for the course cars or safety cars which are auto. I don't get on with them and much prefer sticks.
(12-01-2014, 11:00 AM)FraserG Wrote: Only time I use auto is at race circuits for the course cars or safety cars which are auto. I don't get on with them and much prefer sticks.

Most of the 'fast' cars - M Power / AMG are auto or semi auto. Takes a real driver to control one so explains why little Miss Fraser can't get his head around them! Tongue Wink
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
I had the 3 series beemer the week before. I thought it was much better. But still shit boot space.

Admittedly when I did floor the X1 it would move, but unfortunately there was no sport setting on the X1 lie there was on the 3 series. I wanted the end again but the gits at the rental car place had given the last one away.
(12-01-2014, 11:15 AM)Kingy Wrote:
(12-01-2014, 11:00 AM)FraserG Wrote: Only time I use auto is at race circuits for the course cars or safety cars which are auto. I don't get on with them and much prefer sticks.

Most of the 'fast' cars - M Power / AMG are auto or semi auto. Takes a real driver to control one so explains why little Miss Fraser can't get his head around them! Tongue Wink

Sounds like someone wants a slap around his hairdresser car Wink
(12-01-2014, 05:02 PM)Rick Wrote: I had the 3 series beemer the week before. I thought it was much better. But still shit boot space.

Thats why my Merc went. Boot space is rubbish for a supposed 'family' car. 3 series is the same size/ market. You need the 5 series or above to get decent storage. (Or the X3, which whilst on a 3 series platform is SUV shape so brilliant for luggage).
Mind you, the only sensible option if you want speed, 4x4 capability and plenty of luggage space is a Range Rover. Proper car. Cool Big Grin

(12-01-2014, 05:15 PM)FraserG Wrote: Sounds like someone wants a slap around his hairdresser car Wink

Tongue