Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cadwell Park this weekend
(09-07-2015, 09:24 AM)Kingy Wrote: A very detailed and lengthy report. Took a while to get through, but well worth my time and effort. Would read again. Wink

Sounds like a good weekend. Smile

Haha I'll do a full report a bit later on. Got into work to find a mammoth amount of crap to get through this week. It seems work wish to squeeze as much out of me as possible before I take two weeks off from next Monday! And I still have to buy things to pack.

But I shall do a fuller report at some point. Promise!
Ha ha. Smile No worries mate.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Ya slacker Wink
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
Hi peeps.....been busy doing other things recently so not got a look in here.....FG looks like you had a good weekend and yes that drive from down this part of the world is a pi55er.
JJ your cycling is mega mate.....look out Chris Froome or maybe Guy Martin 'cause he's a MTB nutter........................and Kingy what you been doing then to get a knackered knee?
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Roger C now thats a name I've heard before somewhere Wink

Good to see your still around matey.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
So the 'big' report then. It'll probably be boring as it's very much from the voluntary side of the fence, but I promised Kingy and if I don't keep my promise he might make me watch a Man U game and, to be honest, I'd rather be tortured by IS than have to do that!

Cadwell, as a meeting, started some two weeks ago with preparations, planning, contingencies, etc. Packing the suitcase came on Wednesday so I could shoot off on Thursday without having to worry about too much. Thursday was a typical day at work, other than starting mega early to finish mega early which didn't finish as early as I'd hoped. Left work about 3, got home about half past, loaded the car and was on my way for 4. As Roger has confirmed, the journey from the South West (just outside Bath) to Cadwell park is not overly enjoyable. While I am not a fan of large amounts of motorway, neither am I a fan of single carriage way with nutters, tractors and general gits. Eventually arrived at the hotel about 8, just in time to unpack and have a couple of drinks before bed.

Friday morning and it was a little drizzly. Breakfast was a hurried affair before heading to the circuit to begin the usual array of tasks that need completing prior to beginning testing. Some of these included hunting down my Dr Pepper supply so that I was ready. Others included the circuit inspections and other tasks which a clerk has to do before beginning to ensure everything is complied with and fit for purpose.

The test day started well, albeit damp from the overnight rain, but that soon dried up and some enjoyable testing was had by all (as far as I know anyway!). Lunch came and went before the afternoon sessions which included some lovely sidecars, including some of the British F2 championship lot, as they were a guest class for the weekend.

Testing finished at 5pm, just enough time to head back to the hotel after a catch up with pals not seen since the last meeting and have a wash before a curry and pint. Curry at the local Indian was very nice, I'd recommend it if you end up in Alford. Very reasonable on the pricing as well and the food is very nice. A merry evening was had by all.

Saturday morning was drier in the air, but damper on the ground, than Friday. Clerking again so the usual checks, make sure nothings happened overnight that could cause problems and qualifying began under wet race conditions. This stayed the norm until the end of qualifying due to the dampness staying under the trees in the Woodland part of the circuit. But overall, qualifying went without a problem. Then we began racing, with our F400 class beginning proceedings. Overall, Saturday went fairly smoothly with no major incidents to write home about. A very nice, relaxing day. If being on edge all day, ready to respond at a moments notice, is relaxing!

Saturday was ham, egg and chips at the hotel bar with a couple of drinks and enjoyable conversations with the locals and fellow volunteers. Stories swapped about racing incidents, racing stories (as most volunteers there are also ex-racers) and generally putting the world to rights.

Sunday was the driest of the three days, with sunshine beating on the track and getting very warm down in the pitlane/race control. But the Dr Pepper supply held out long enough to see the day through and thus, another race weekend was over. Too soon some might say, and not soon enough might say others, but either way, it was time to head home for another poxy drive on single carriage way roads before getting home very late and tired, but happy that another good weekend was had racing.

Next meeting is Brands for Bemsee in the first weekend of October. Luckily I land back in the UK on the Monday, spend 3 days at work to dial back in before going to the circuit. The season is getting dangerously close to being over Sad
Not reading all that!  Wink  

So, to summise. You wander around looking important early doors, watch a few races during the day and then the main event is food and beer in the evening.  Tongue

Glad it was relatively uneventful as that means everyone had a good race weekend. Haven't seen sidecars around Cadwell, but can imagine they are good to watch. 
Shame about the drive. Reminds me of when we used to drive to the East Coast. Shorter journey than yours, but I hated every mile once we got onto the A64. Single A road, ALWAYS busy and backed up in the same places and as soon as you got some clear road the local yokel hoopla-heads were waiting to pull out and clock the road with their tractors for 5 miles.  Dodgy

...and don't think I've not registered another little dig at United you football heathan! If we ever arrange a forum get together up North I'll make it Manchester and drag you around Old Trafford!  Big Grin
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Sounds like a good weekend, must make a few more race meetings
(09-08-2015, 06:41 AM)Kingy Wrote: Not reading all that!  Wink  

So, to summise. You wander around looking important early doors, watch a few races during the day and then the main event is food and beer in the evening.  Tongue

Glad it was relatively uneventful as that means everyone had a good race weekend. Haven't seen sidecars around Cadwell, but can imagine they are good to watch. 
Shame about the drive. Reminds me of when we used to drive to the East Coast. Shorter journey than yours, but I hated every mile once we got onto the A64. Single A road, ALWAYS busy and backed up in the same places and as soon as you got some clear road the local yokel hoopla-heads were waiting to pull out and clock the road with their tractors for 5 miles.  Dodgy

...and don't think I've not registered another little dig at United you football heathan! If we ever arrange a forum get together up North I'll make it Manchester and drag you around Old Trafford!  Big Grin

Haha I've found it's difficult to write a 'race report' based on my side of things because that summary is pretty much it from my side of things. Naturally accidents can occur and they get dealt with but mostly, once a meeting has started it's mostly about keeping it ticking and dealing with little things here and there to keep the plates spinning. Alas, not an exciting thing to read compared to say an Endurance Race report from JJ with the ups/downs of racing from the racers POV.

I'm glad you picked up on the highlights of the weekend though Wink

I'm all for these self-driving cars that can take me places while I sleep! Then I won't care if the traffics bad cos I won't be conscious enough to notice!
He gets flashbacks when writing reports nowadays. I don't think he's ever mentioned it to you, but he was in a really serious motorcycle accident ...........  Big Grin