Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dashcams
I've been using one for a while. I'm on target for a fair bit over 40k miles this year so I reckon it's probably a good idea. 
I've had mixed experiences so far. I'm about to try my fourth. Two went wrong (annoying sd card errors). One cheap one has been great, but I'm just about to try a better one with more features. 

Anyone else using one?
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Nope lol
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
But you would get such good crash coverage if you did mate! Wink
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
But I don't want any crash coverage thanks lol.
I have one but don't use it often unless on long journey's, but I've had it 6 years now so probably not worth reviewing! I do think they're useful though, specially with the amount of bad driving on the roads these days.

What I really need is a helmet cam for the bike I think, might be helpful to capture what happens there as more goes 'wrong' on the bike compared to the safety of the car.
I've been using a nextabse 1080p model in car and van for ages can't remember the model it was best dashcam on which a year or 2 ago.

Excellent night and day coverage.

I di have a problem with SD cards packing up.
I bought good quality sandisk cards and one packed up so I sent it back under warranty.

They replaced it anyway but told me that a "standard card" is not suitable for dashcam application.
I should be using "heavy duty" cards. So I ordered 2 and haven't had a problem since.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00V...UTF8&psc=1
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember
I've used four so far getting to the current one I'm on which is the best of the lot. It's a YI Smart Dash Camera. Get very good reviews on Amazon, but you need to buy carefully as they do a range.
Mine is 1080P / 60fps / 2.7" aft display and has wifi connection to your phone via their app. *
You can leave the unit on, or let it power down when parked. It does have the auto record of the car is bumped when parked.
I've stuck a 64 gig sd card in as this model can take larger cards and so far so good. As Yogi mentioned you need to buy the better quality sd cards and pay attention to what size the unit can take as this differs from one manufacturer to another.

* The connection to smartphone is really useful as it means you don't have to take the unit out of the car to download clips you want to keep. The app is easy peasy to install and set up and connects straight away when you want to.

I've also used a cheaper one (XuanPad) usually about £25. No app with this. Small screen. But it works perfectly. Stuck one in Yasmins car and told her to not touch it. Cheap peace of mind.
Yi dash cam still going strong. Links quickly and easily by bluetooth to download clips if required (so no need to take out of the car or connect to PC). Not had a problem with it and would now prefer to always have the security of a dash cam when driving.

Review to give you a feel for Yi (as the name isn't exactly household) ...

https://kit.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/rev...-dash-cam/
Still not using one lol
(01-22-2019, 06:31 PM)jollyjoiner Wrote: Still not using one lol

Missed opportunity. 

You've Been Framed & Lads Bible = £350. 
Easy money for you. Wink