Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arlo Pro 2 Wireless CCTV
OK. Cards on the table - the Ring video doorbell is a handy piece of kit with both Yaz and I being away a lot. But it's a but limited (by design) on where it can cover. I decided I'd like to have a bit more peace of mind. I've fitted conventional CCTV at work and it's easy enough but a lot of drilling and you end up with a base station that you need to hide well or thieves can nick that and CCTV is pointless. 

Step up Netgear Arlo Pro 1080. 
A wireless system. 
Decided to try it. Bought the two camera system. 
You get base station and two 1080 cameras. 

Install is simple and took me about an hour which included drilling walls to fit camera brackets. I did buy the additional 'outside' brackets as they are more secure. 

Once unpacked - connect base station to router (or hub switch), plug in. 
Put batteries (pre charged) into cameras.
Download Carlo app to your phone. Open app.
Press sync button base station. Press sync button on camera. (Repeat for camera 2) 
Now confirm software upgrade on app (for base station and cameras). 
Job done. 

Then fit cameras where you want them. 

I've added a third party power cable to one camera as that means it never needs recharging. I've left the other battery only just to see how long they last. 

Lots of features to explore but first impressions are its a good system which requires so little installation it's a doddle. Vids held in cloud (to be downloaded at will) is ultra secure too. 

Just thought I'd mention it ...
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Thanks Paul, will take a look
Where did you get the cameras from? Just looking online and prices seem to vary a bit packages. A two camera system would well for us.
(06-29-2018, 06:42 PM)speedymadR6 Wrote: Where did you get the cameras from?  Just looking online and prices seem to vary a bit packages.  A two camera system would well for us.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-VMS4230...rlo+2+1080

They were £30 off last week when I bought them. 

Got these mounts for outside: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071...UTF8&psc=1

I've also bought leads to power the units but have only powered one camera (front one) as I want to see how long the battery lasts for. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078...UTF8&psc=1

So far I'm impressed. I've got outside lights on sensors for winter as the night vision is ok but not great so I think it will be fine with some helping light. Normal CCTV isn't brilliant at night (from experience with Swann 1080 wired CCTV at work) so I know it's something you need to be aware of. 

I intend to add a usb stick to try the hard drive element out. 
I've switched off the sound sensor. You can have it set so noise sets the camera to record, but if it gets windy thats a nuisance so I've just got it set to detect movement as thats all Im interested in.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
The cheaper units are the Arlo and Arlo Pro.
The Pro 2 1080 is the latest once which was introduced earlier this year. Camera quality is better and there are some additional features - although some require AC power lead and a subscription.
Added a third camera to mid set up as they were on offer on Prime day.

Also bought x3 camera set up for my Mum and fitted that today. Bargain on Prime day as it was cheaper than the 2 camera system. Top job.

Really impressed with the system. Have x2 cameras powered and third battery. Still has 58% power since installation so bodes well.
Looks interesting, But I still find wifi flaky at best, and that's with a top router and access points.

I want about 6 to 8 cameras inside and out so and I'm hoping to fit IP cameras and run them through a NAS drive, so no cloud needed.

I'll let you know how I get on when I eventually get around to it.

How much does the cloud storage sub cost ??
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember
I've had no issues at all with wifi. I'm BT fibre with standard hub 5. Not checked the speed but it is supposed to be upto 70 so I'd guess at 50 hardwired and a bit less wired. 

I like the cloud upload as it negates issues with hiding hard drives or thieving its breaking in and finding hard drive and removing evidence of their theft. 

Cloud storage I'm using currently is free. It is seven days on a rolling basis for uptown 5 cameras. You can view / download any saved files at any time. 

If you want to increase that to 30 days storage then there is a cost which is £6.49 per month for uptown 10 cameras. 60 days is £9.99 per month for uptown 20 cameras.
Oh, and that camera I've left battery only is now on 44% ... now a month later.
Battery now 27%. Thats just over 6 weeks and still not ready for a charge.
T'others are fine on mains and staying at 100%.