Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have finally stooped soooooo low ... Turbo time ...
I'm still gainfully employed in the cycling industry - but with working hours that don't always conform to a routine and spending 3 of every 5 weeks away I've still not found a routine for my training. As a result my fitness is non existent and I'm getting lazy. 

I thought about what I miss from my 'old job/life'. Apart from the obvious (running my own business and working with my father) I really miss the commuting/ training in the mornings. Getting up at stupid o'clock never bothered me. It wouldn't be practical for me to get up, train for 2 hours at 4am and then drive to Scotland etc, but - I could get an hour in early if it was more convenient/ easy.

So, I decided to do something that doesn't sit easy with me. 
I feel dirty.
I've invested in a turbo trainer. 

I'm setting my winter bike up on an Elite Drive trainer. It can stay on there for a few months. Its a fairly good quality trainer so has resistance etc. and can be linked up to various software so you can ride courses which I'm told makes it good fun (within how much fun you can have on a static trainer). 
I have the turbo and the bike is having a new chain and cassette fitted ready for it all being set up this weekend. 

I'm sticking it in the garage. I have a laptop and a couple of fans sorted so I'll give it a whirl. If I can build up to an hour a morning when I'm home and then go from there it will hopefully get me developing a base fitness again and speed up hitting an adequate fitness level to get out again. 

I'll get some pics and probably blog it on the Angry Biker blog.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
OMG noooooooooooooooooo

I have one int he garage and when I was off after my terrible cycling accident I used it about half dozen times and I felt it so boring.

Mind you I couldn't afford anything that links up to the laptop or apps to help out so I bet they are different to just looking at the garage door lol

I've started to get out on the road bike now and done about 70 miles on it this week with two rides. I have found that I need to raod bike to help get me fitter for the MTB and help to get the weight off again as I'm 10kg heavier now than when I got down to my lightest. So If I can shed 6 or 7 kg I'll be happy and should find it easier to do the climbs again not having to carry and much weight.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
Ha ha. Got it all set up and sync'd last night. Thought I would be fine with the resident Elite programme, but whilst challenging it's boring. You ride TDF stages but look at the elevation as your data progresses .... YAWN.

So, tried Zwift.
Sad to admit - it looks like it could be very interesting.
Had a blast for a couple of miles and passing other riders, elevation changes etc. mean you are having to think in a similar way to riding.
It's a 7 day free trial so I'll see how I go, but I'll likely stick with it. As you say - without the interaction I think I'd get bored within a few weeks. This could well be self fulfilling. Get fitter, get quicker, enjoy more - plus make getting back out on the bike easier.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
[Image: 2009-06-27-exercise-bike.gif]
It's not ideal Paul BUT it does keep fitness/build fitness at the convenience around life. I struggle with fitting training with work these days which is why you see so much of my strava as sufferfest turbo workouts.

They are predominantly one hour sessions designed as HIT, so you get a bloody good workout. I prefer it to other platforms as it makes the whole thing interesting and hard work at the same time. I would recommend that you take a look at Sufferfest.

I try and do three sessions during the week so I can then get out on the weekends. I am not at my peak fitness of a couple of years back when we did the Fred but I am not a million miles away.

Worth getting a turbo specific tyre apparently after speaking to several people this year and I will be investing in one.
Ha ha. Like it JJ.  Big Grin

Dave - Yes, time (or lack of it) - that's my issue. With the new job and all the other shite I'm still sorting with no help from my f'king useless excuse of a brother time is just non existent. I can't get any routine inplace for training and even weekends are all over the place. 

I've been in Scotland with work this week, then down to Port Talbot (8 hour/ 480 mile return journey) picking a new car up for Yaz yesterday and then today I've been over to the factory/ Lexus Stockport (collect Dads car - which I'm sorting out) plus errands and I'm now doing paperwork for the Factory and then paperwork for my 'day job'. 
Had I not got 45 mins in on the turbo this morning (to give it a proper try out) I'd not have managed anything today.  Rolleyes

I'll take a look at Sufferfest.  Cool

The turbo I've got is ... http://www.elite-it.com/en/products/gb/t...tive/drivo

I've set my red (winter/commute) Cannondale up on it semi permanently so it's always set up ready to go and very convenient. It's in the garage (cooler) with power for laptop and fan and a remote garage door which I can open to get more air in. I fitted a new block, chain and gear cable so it is smooth riding. 
I still have the white carbon Cannondale to ride when I get time. 

I'll start getting up early and getting a small amount of time in and build that up. At present my fitness is pants - so I need a couple of good months training to start getting back on track.
Fook me I've just seen the price of those and I'm still in shock

[Image: man-screaming-with-bulging-eyes-vector-i...?s=612x612]
Look at you posting pics in threads. I have a tear in my eye seeing how much you have grown from complete luddite over the years Wink

They are a bit pricey, but ignore RRP's by a couple of hundred quid.
(04-22-2018, 07:51 PM)Kingy Wrote: Look at you posting pics in threads. I have a tear in my eye seeing how much you have grown from complete luddite over the years Wink

They are a bit pricey, but ignore RRP's by a couple of hundred quid.

Oh you would be surprised  what I can do sometimes lol

[Image: Think-Learn-Smart-Cycle-2-630x420.jpg&q=82]
You will only fall of that if you try using it!! Wink