Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Of to Bath
As the title says Me and my good lady are off to Baaaaath the end of June for a long weekend away.

Some of you may remember Acca on our old Monkey site, he was the one that lived near Cadwell and had the moggy minor convertible.

Well he sold up and moved out to Bathampton which is a mile and half out of bath and said if I was ever passing to call in and see him. Well we did this about 18 months ago on our way back from devon and had a few hours with him and had a quick visit into Baaaaath.

He kindly said that he would be happy to put us up for a weekend if we wanted to come over and explore more of the place so we've took him up on his kind offer.

He may have a few things planned for us and will be showing us the sites and will also be booking us in for an afternoon tea at the Royal Crescent hotel

Other things for me to have a go at is a paddle into Baaaaath in his canoe as his back door is only 20ft from the canal and it runs right down the length of his garden so that should be fun.

Anyone else been to Baaath for the weekend ??
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
Been through it many times.

Looks a beautiful place.
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember
Nope. 
Looks nice though.  Cool
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
(05-17-2017, 08:06 AM)Kingy Wrote: Nope. 
Looks nice though.  Cool

Hahahaha just like one of my comments Tongue

But can't believe you've actually not been cos you've been everywhere Big Grin
I work in Bath.

Today it is miserable. It is raining and the roads have clogged up and I got soaked even with waterproofs on.

But when the sun is out - oh boy is it a totally different city.

Some things to see - Victoria Park and the Royal Crescent near the Circus. There's a few museums, Holborne is good for Arty type things I believe, and a Jane Austen centre if you're into that sort of thing.

Southgate (near the train station) starts the main shopping area, but unfortunately, most shops are branded round there. However, the further north you go towards Gay Street, you'll find a few more independent ones, including a fudge shop that gives you free samples (worth a visit just for some free fudge).

Of course there's the Abbey in the centre, and walking ghost tours of Bath in the evening starting at the Abbey. And finally the Roman Baths, just outside Southgate (but in the pedestrian area). You can go swimming in them I believe, though I've never been (the curse of living near the attraction and the whole "I'll go there at some point" has left me here for 3 years without going).

Now, onto the interesting stuff. Bath has a large range of pubs, clubs and watering holes to choose from. Avg. price of a pint is about £4. We have a lot of local ale (Bath Ales) and a few local ciders from the West Country as well. A good place to get a range of alcohol tastes is Graze, they do food and drink, and overlook the station, with a back seating area that overlooks the Southgate complex and you can see a lot of the Georgian architecture from there. If you want a more traditional 'pub' feel but don't wish to take injections, then the Cork, opposite the college is a 5 minute walk from the train station (maybe 10 if you're enjoying the scenery and not eager for a pint like we are on a Friday after work), however, if you want to enjoy local drinks and don't mind a bit of a darker interior, then the Hobgoblin is the place to go. It has pool tables as well.

However, if you'd rather have a more upmarket experience, then the Raven is very good, very nice food (I can recommend the pies) and drink, and is a bit closer to Queen's Square than the station (thus, away from the uni riff raff that come down the hill for a night of boozing). Also near the Raven is the Gin Bar - as the name suggests they stock a wide variety of gins. Just make sure you charge double on your perms to afford some - it's not a place we humble workers visit often without cause for celebration!

And if you do end up on the piss all night long, then McDonalds is open 24 hours on a Friday to Sunday for uni students (and upstanding citizens of Bath and guests) :-P

Fingers crossed the weather is good for you. If you do go down the Avon, you'll pass my office. I'm on the fifth floor but I'll do my best to chuck a stapler at you as you go past :-P
Thanks for all that information Frazer, I will more than likely forget all of this once I'm there lol.

Like I said we will be going to the crescent on the sunday for afternoon tea which I have started to save up for.

I think Acca is on about taking us to the baths Friday night as they will have started the torch lit events which is supposed to look lovely.

I'll give you a shout if we end up canoeing into bath but I guess you won't be working on a weekend Smile
Been many many times.....lovely place and only 20 miles from us. FG likely has all the info on where and what to go/see/do I see. Have a great time and hope the weather holds for you.
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
(05-17-2017, 08:22 PM)RogerC Wrote: Been many many times.....lovely place and only 20 miles from us.  FG likely has all the info on where and what to go/see/do I see.  Have a great time and hope the weather holds for you.

Cheers matey
Have a nice weekend,haha