Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Broadband? (Thinking of changing)
I'm with Virgin fibre (which I know doesn't help you) so can't comment on the fibre stuff of Sky or Plusnet, however, I did have Sky when I was in second year of uni (2011-2012 academic year) and the service was terrible and the customer service was non-existent.

The begin with, we ordered the internet + phone (no TV) to be installed on the 1st week of September, when we were moving in, approx. 3 weeks before term started. On the day of install they didn't turn up and when phoned gave some excuse and rebooked us for the 1st week of October instead. So we spent the first few weeks of the house without internet, and crucially the first couple of weeks of term without the ability to check timetables, or access resources, etc. Worse - I couldn't play my online games!!

Then in the November, the previous tenants decided they wanted the number for their new house, so they organised with their providers to get it, to which Sky then cut us off with no warning (no letters, email, phone, nothing) because they (incorrectly) thought it was us moving house to a new house wanting the number. When we complained when the internet suddenly went off, we were told that it would take a month to get someone out to reconnect us.

During the academic year the service would drop out regularly, sometimes for minutes at a time, but often only for a few seconds. Not a problem unless, like me, you're trying to stream something or play an online game that kicks you off when you have no internet connection to the game server. I made notes of everytime it dropped for a couple of weeks (well, everytime I noticed it anyway) and it was dropping out for about 2 hours a week collectively, but only for moments at a time. Sky could never get to the bottom of it.

When it came to leaving the house they tried some f**kery to make us pay for ending the contract early. Why? Because of the f**k up in the November, they'd put us on a new contract instead of fixing the old one. So we had 3 months remaining of a 10 month contract as far as they were concerned (when in the original contract we were on time for 10 months). Luckily we got out of having to pay any early cancellation/remaining fees for simply reminding them of their f**k ups in the beginning and complaining that because of the drop outs we weren't getting the service we had been paying for anyway and that they could either accept the contract ending or cancel it early but in either case they were getting f**k all more money out of us. Dunno how they sorted it but have not paid a penny to Sky since.

As mentioned, this wasn't fibre, just normal broadband. And it was a few years ago. And others may have had better experience. But I personally won't use Sky for a very long time. They were cheaper than Virgin when I got my fibre initially but Virgin did a deal enhancer for us so we went with them, plus they weren't Sky! I dunno whether they were trying to take advantage of students or what, but that was my experience with them, and so, would not recommend them personally.

Not used or know anyone that has used Plusnet though so can't give an opinion there. Sorry!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which Broadband? (Thinking of changing) - FraserG - 02-13-2017, 04:00 PM