Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome back fellow Monkeys and Spammers ...
Hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year. 

I had a 'rest' from internet and social media during my week off. (Yes, ok ... I couldn't be arsed ;Wink
Was hoping Facebook would have eaten itself and died, but the emails for my account and the several spam accounts set up using my company domain say otherwise. Shame that.

I did get out training a bit during the week. Nothing much. A mountainbike ride, a run and two road rides. All quite leisurely. Plenty of time with Yaz and the kids - plus other close family and friends and a few beers too. Good week off, but a shame it wasn't longer.  

I've got a couple of new toys ... 

1) An Amazon Echo - very good especially when matched with a premium music account. That said Samee uses it as a constant source of amusement by asking it to tell a joke, then a riddle and then to fart. Whenever he is in the room it's like they are both stuck on a loop!  Big Grin  Yaz loves it as she can finally alter the heating through Alexa. (She never did get the hang of the Tado phone app!).
I was going to buy a Sonos, but have held fire as I'm now torn between another echo or a dot with Sonos Play 1 (but they don't integrate yet bar Yonomi which is far from ideal). 

2) A Samsung Gear S3 Frontier watch - Brilliant piece of kit. Cool  I thought it may be just a bit of a gimmick, but I'm really impressed with it. Not just the usual things it can do (which means you can leave your phone in your pocket - even for calls/ text/ music etc), but it's fitness side , which has been a bit of a surprise to say the least (Didn't expect it to be so good from the reviews I've read). Plenty of info through the watch - much more detail through the Samsung Health app and auto upload to Strava. On two test rides and a run it's proved to be as accurate as the TomTom watch and the Mio / Garmin. 
Given that I've got lots syncing and displaying (plus a Tag Heuer watchface loaded) it's lasting at least 3 full days on one charge which is excellent. It could stretch to four, but would run out so third night of use I put it on charge. I'm having lots of fun tinkering with it.  

Anyone else get anything interesting?
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Well your now even more like Mr Gadget.

I didn't get anything Exciting apart from buying myself a new Giro Chronicle mtb helmet after putting a dint in mine after my little tumble.

I was wondering if those Echo things was any good and was thinking if they was just a waste but it sounds like they could be fun.

As for your Samsung gear s3 frontier watch you seem to have forgotten to tell us if it actually tells the TIME Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
(01-03-2017, 05:42 PM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Well your now even more like Mr Gadget.

I didn't get anything Exciting apart from buying myself a new Giro Chronicle mtb helmet after putting a dint in mine after my little tumble.

I was wondering if those Echo things was any good and was thinking if they was just a waste but it sounds like they could be fun.

As for your Samsung gear s3 frontier watch you seem to have forgotten to tell us if it actually tells the TIME Smile

Good investment (your new lid). Especially given your talent for falling off anything with two wheels Wink

----

Hmm. Telling the time on the Gear S3 Smartwatch ... why on earth would I need that function!  Wink Big Grin Lol ...... Yes, it will tell the time. You can have it set to 'always on' so it looks like a normal watch, or to default which shows the watchface/ time if you look at the screen. Always on mullers the battery and isn't necessary imho. I got 1 and a bit days with display set to always on or three and a bit with it set to 'default'. 
Another handy thing is you can respond to text or email by voice. Say what you want then convert to text.  Cool And answering a call you need to get (caller ID showing) with the watch because your phone is tucked snugly away in the hardest jacket pocket to get to (so you know it will stop the second you get hold of it) ... niiice!  Big Grin  

----

The Amazon Echo is good as long as you are prepared to go through a learning curve with it. You can do lots easily from the off, but quickly realise it does need a bit of time to get used to. 

Best way of explaining is  - If you open an app on your mobile - you know it will give you specific information. Eg. Sports app to see race results. Echo does the same thing, only you ask - so no need to pick up the phone, unlock, press app etc etc. BUT, whilst echo can answer some things off the bat ... Eg Play xxx music*, whats the weather like, tell me about this film, tell me the news and so on .... there are other things that need 'skills' adding through the Alexa app. This allows Alexa (Echo) to get specific information. Eg. Add the Telegraph / Guardian / BBC News 'skills' and then ask Alexa for Guardian news / sports headlines etc. It becomes second nature as you get used to it - Just like when you first got a smart phone and started adding apps. 

*Whilst there are loads of music stations already available the Echo and the DOT (which is an echo without the big speaker) both work best with a premium music subscription. Either Amazon Music or Spotify are best. Google Music won't work for now as Amazon are competing (in USA for now) against 'Google Home' so won't embrace a competitor. 

Spotify are doing a three month trial for 99p so I'm on that for now. Then I'll take a months free trial with Amazon - then probably take Amazon music as I'm a Prime member already so it will work out a fair bit cheaper. 

Only thing you need to consider if you decide to get one is - Do you want the Echo (with built in speaker +/- £150) or the DOT (very small speaker +/- £50). Bear in mind that the DOT has 3.5mm line out, so you can use an external speaker. Might suit audiophiles who want better sound than the Echo speaker has. Sonos 1 compatibility is anticipated sometime this year which could be interesting.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Well it all sounds very good but I don't think it's something I would use much.

I would to start with but then go back to my normal ways, we wouldn't get much time to use it cos the telly is always on at night so only really listen to music in the car or van.
Give me a month or three with it and I'll give you an honest appraisal of what it can do. I've either just scratched the surface over the last week, or it's a pile of shite.  Big Grin
Like you, I didn't listen to music that much. Car and phone when in the shower was about it. I'm now finding I chill in the front room reading or just relaxing with music and a drink. May not last but it's quite enjoyable now and again. 

With the echo I'm also looking at other things it can control - like the Philips Hue Lights. The idea is I'll have the echo downstairs and a 'dot' upstairs and aswell as the stuff I've also mentioned I'll be using them to control lights, heating, alarms (as in wake up, not security), some sockets for equipment and once I've got some more kit - turn the tv/stereo/ Sat/ Kodi etc. on/off using the harmony remote/bridge equipment. The cost of the kit involved and the fact I like tinkering means it's an ongoing 'tinkering' project rather than just splash the cash and get it all set up immediately. 

Oh, and did I mention that I bought the Echo as a Christmas present ... for Yaz.  Big Grin Big Grin
Hahaha no you never said it was her present lol, does she know how to switch it on lol.

Don't know if you've seen the film Ex Machina but I can see this being you in the future lol
(01-04-2017, 09:29 AM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Hahaha no you never said it was  her present lol, does she know how to switch it on lol.

Don't know if you've seen the film Ex Machina but I can see this being you in the future lol

She reckons Alexa just ignores her. Every time she asks it something she gets ignored or told her question can't be answered!  Big Grin ... Then either I or one of the kids ask the same thing and Alexa sorts it no problem.  Big Grin Big Grin Pmsl.

Ha ha - Ex Machina. Proper lesson on technology giving you a right rinsing. Mind you - those saucy little (very lethal) fembots. (But what a way to go).
welcome back fuck nuts.

No idea what you are talking about and you better get your arse in shape for mayhem!
(01-04-2017, 07:43 PM)speedymadr6 Wrote: welcome back fuck nuts.

No idea what you are talking about and you better get your arse in shape for mayhem!

Don't worry, most of the time I don't know what the fook I'm talking about.  Big Grin

Don't you worry about my arse you little southern deviant  Wink
I've kept the Fred bike training mileage up plus some xc. Been a bit lazy with the fell running (road riding in preference as I've had a bit on the last couple of months), but will re-introduce 10-15 mile fell runs in the not too distant future to improve core / leg strength. I'll be ready and raring to go come the Mayhem.  Cool
Your a fecking martyr to pain