Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How f'kin cold this morning!
As some will know I get up a bit early to ride a few miles before work. I keep a close eye on the weather via a couple of apps on my phone which have proved to be quite accurate over several months. 

Last night I rode home and temps were 5 degrees - which was fine for shorts on the bike. I don't wear lycra unless I absolutely/ no possible way round it have to. So, after checking and re-checking my apps agreed that it would be 3 degrees with some frost when I leave the house at 4.30am. I decided that whilst chilly that would be fine for shorts. 

So, I get my gear ready last night. I susbstitute the teeshirt I have been wearing (over a long sleeved base layer) for a thin jacket and get my winter gloves out. 

4.30am I leave the house and both cars are white over as I pass them on the drive. Initially it feels a fair bit colder than I expected, but it usually takes 15 minutes to acclimatise so I put this down to me being a tart and just ride off. 

3 degrees my arse! 

In the latter part of my ride as people were getting ready to leave in cars they were out with engines running scraping ice off car windows. 

My jacket, winter gloves and buff did their job keeping my upper body toasty. Smurf boots made sure my feet were the same - but feck me my legs were cold!  Angry Rolled into work 23 miles later for 6am and checked temps. All the apps had changed their minds and were now arguing between -2 and 0 as a 'high temp' at best. Bastard technology!  Tongue
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
So let me get this right, you get your kit ready the night before and put it on despite there being Frost over everything outside ???? hahaha

You could do with an outside weather station like what we have, I can look at it without even opening the curtains and see what the temp is, like now it reads 0 which if my memory serves me well means it's NOT fecking shorts weather hahahahahaha
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
(11-02-2016, 08:29 AM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: So let me get this right, you get your kit  ready the night before and put it on despite there being Frost over everything outside ???? hahaha

You could do with an outside weather station like what we have, I can look at it without even opening the curtains and see what the temp is, like now it reads 0 which if my memory serves me well means it's NOT fecking shorts weather hahahahahaha

Yep.  Blush
... So many times I've added extra layers because it 'look' or 'feels' colder, and ended up far too hot - so now I just go with the plan. I even checked the apps again this morning at 3.30am when I was up and about and they still said 3 degrees. The bastids!  Tongue
I also tend to ignore frost as my/our cars can be white over, then drop down into the valley and temp goes up/ cars clear etc ... only it didn't this morning! 

You wont have these issues living down south near the equator.  Wink Big Grin
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
South my fecking arse Smile
Forecast was identical for this morning. 3 degrees high, 0 degrees low - but the second app had it down as -1 just before I left. Erred on the side of caution and put my big boys pants on. (Endura Humvee longs). 
The 3 degrees was right today so I was too bloody hot! Smile 
On the plus side I rolled upto my 100 mile 3 day target so it's however many bonus miles I feel like doing on the commute home tonight.  Cool
Not sure if this is in pursuit of fitness or Masochism?
I can't feel my fingers... and I was wrapped up in my winter biking gear... I could put them on the exhaust and it wouldn't warm them up I think! Cycling though, in this weather, is madness. Madness I tells ya!

Seriously, book an appointment at the mental health unit Kingy - I think you might need checking over (if they ask why, just say you support Man Utd and they'll probably commit you immediately!)
(11-03-2016, 09:48 AM)Ghost Wrote: Not sure if this is in pursuit of fitness or Masochism?

I sometimes wonder that myself!  Big Grin

(11-03-2016, 09:55 AM)FraserG Wrote: Cycling though, in this weather, is madness. Madness I tells ya! Seriously, book an appointment at the mental health unit Kingy - I think you might need checking over (if they ask why, just say you support Man Utd and they'll probably commit you immediately!)

Bastid!  Tongue (Can't disagree so will just resort to insults  Wink Big Grin)
Nothing wrong with winter riding if you dress for the weather.

I'll be still going for my at least twice or three times weekly rides all winter

This was last winter
[Image: mtb%20in%20snow_zps2wdkdkpd.jpg]
We'll have none of that white stuff please. Buggers the commutes up good and proper as the roadbike doesn't like it. Mind you, it's forecast minus temps and ice overnight tonight, so I might just give in to this man-flu and drive in tomorrow if it's as bad as they say. I 100% do not want a silly off this week when we fly to Berlin for our jolly on Friday morning!