Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How f'kin cold this morning!
The weather forecast (last night) was for temps dropping to -3 overnight and lower toward -5 in rural areas. Given that Glossop (and particularly part of my commute) is as rural as it gets then it was going to be bloody cold. 

I was in two minds. 

The sensible side said ... Drive in. It's too cold and the chances of a silly off (ice) are high. Think about Berlin trip on Friday. Don't want to be limping around for that. Plus I've had manflu since Thursday and am still coughing and sneezing so another day to try and get shut of it is probably a good idea. 

The stupid side said ... Feck it, just ride you pussy.  Tongue

This was as it was warming up once I was in work, hot wash, clean clothes and a hot coffee in hand ...

[Image: Screenshot_20161108-061243_zps7iowujcf.png]

Google disagreed. It reckoned it was -3 with a low of -5. To be honest, it felt bloody cold!
I put my thin running gloves inside my thickest winter gloves as liners for warmth ... which worked a treat. I could feel the cold, but didn't get frozen fingers.  Cool
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Good effort mate, I think I would have took the car haha
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
(11-08-2016, 01:47 PM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Good effort mate, I think I would have took the car haha

Yep agree, me too!
Pair of uphill gardeners  Wink

[Image: Screenshot_20161109-065658_zpsslk4hb76.png]
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Anyhoo. This mornings ride in. Bloody awful. Windy on the tops, but rain/ sleet constant. Temps were higher (no ice today) but felt colder with being wet through. On the positive side all the standing water was ... water. Was happy with that as I'd rather have that than ice. 

This was the 'lull' before it started again. TBH don't think it really stopped raining, just eased off. Feels like -3 is maybe a good shout. 

[Image: Screenshot_20161109-061659_zpscjgw3res.png]
Forecast last night (for this morning) was 3 degrees and dry. Nice way to finish the commute week off.  Big Grin

Actual weather this morning was cold, windy and very heavy, persistent rain. It probably was 3 degrees but once soaked through (an hour in) hands and feet felt it was a lot colder! When I got up (3.20am) I heard the rain hammering against the window and was so tempted to just re-set my alarm, get another couple of hours in bed and drive in. 

Still, manned up and got 23 miles in. It's helped as I should complete my test (for review) of the Tumble and Fall Halo 2000 (lumen) bike lights I've been using this week. (For Jamie at High Peak Cycles). I needed todays time on the bike to finish my second burn time test. 

My 3 day total currently at 98.7 miles with the ride/commute home tonight to add to that. Can now do a short blast home, break the 100 mile / 3 day target, get sorted for Berlin and then from tomorrow enjoy a lads weekend away.   Cool  Really looking forward to it.
Good mileage there for 3 days riding in this weather. Good effort pal.

I managed just 16 miles last night and the temp said 0 but it didn't feel that cold at all.
(11-10-2016, 08:19 AM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Good mileage there for 3 days riding in this weather. Good effort pal.

I managed just 16 miles last night and the temp said 0 but it didn't feel that cold at all.

Cheers Nige. 
It was warm here last night too. 3 degrees and dry but felt warmer once I got moving. That's why I was quite looking forward to this mornings commute ... until I heard the fecking rain!  Big Grin
I learnt three things this morning on my commute into work. 

1) Castelli neoprene gloves do not work well in minus temps regardless of what Castelli claim. Quite the opposite in fact once you go past the hour mark. 

2) 'Feels like -7' is quite cold. (Understatement of the year thus far).

3) Having to ride through water and ice from numerous unrepaired burst water pipes not only gives you arse twitching moments, but after 40 mins freezes your gears up.  

[Image: Screenshot_20161129-061541_zpscvtczlgb.png]
Fooking nuts mate.