Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am returned.....
Hello peeps....just thought it time I got off my typing arse and posted something...mind you there's little to post in my retired life these days Big Grin .  Anyway.....Mrs C and self ventured up to Malvern for a few days in the motorhome...big motorhome show and pretty good entertainment ( she likes her line dancing and Country/Western music....mind you any kind of live music is usually to our liking and there were over 20 acts at Malvern over the four days).  So wandering around the show a 'lekky bike' stand caught 'our eye' ...well a few stands did actually...but all except this one were crap...bad welding/poor finish/ crap components etc.  So looking into it more we discovered the reason for the better finish....'German made'.  Chatting to the two guys there they said 'would we like a test ride'.....sure we would.  So with no deposit/name/address or hows your father...off we set on well over £2500 worth of brand new bikes.  As Mrs C has been considering....for over 18 months....getting an electric bike and now we had found a bike she really liked and actually came to decision time.  The bike she tried she really liked and felt comfortable and safe on....Dutch style, Alloy frame, 8 gears and three levels of assist, hydraulic disc brakes, Shimano gears and branded callipers, light set etc.....no cheap Chinese rubbish to be found on it.  So  after some haggling we bought the one she had tested and for £350 knocked off the retail as it was deemed an ex demo' bike albeit with the grand sum of 13 miles on the clock.  
Then off to the Dales....Dovedale to be exact and a lovely site at Ilam Park for a week.  A bit of walking, no cycling as my bike was at home.....some occasional partaking of G&T and red wines (well daily actually) ...a few days out  and about (we had towed the Smart car with us).  All in all a great two weeks and as this was my first visit to the Peak district we are looking to go back with both bikes for the Tissington Trail and whatever else we can find for both of us to cycle around.  Any recommendations for good fairly easy trails would be appreciated........remember I said fairly easy not IRON man stuff you nutters get into....hehe
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Bout bloody time! Smile Welcome back.

My local bike shop said that after just (last month) going to the trade shows the electric bike scene is set to explode in the next year or two. All the major 'brands' (Eg Cannodale) have electric bikes either very late stage development or ready to go.

I think they are brilliant. They are getting a lot of people out on bikes - able to enjoy the countryside that otherwise would not be riding.

Well done on getting a good quality one. As you say - there are a lot of very cheap bikes about that have been converted cheaply and sold at a huge profit margin. As you rightly said, they need to be given a wide berth.

There are more and more leccy bikes being used in the Peaks. A couple of cheeky chappies have gone around getting the tough uphill KOM's on Strava using their leccy bikes. The took Winnats Pass by about 2 minutes and have been out getting more. They get flagged and knocked off the leader boards, but this is the downside of leccy bikes - when they are in the hands of bellends Wink

Oh, and if you get to this part of the Peaks - Longdendale Trail. It's the old railway line. You can ride up and down and take the views in. You can also cross over to the other side of the reservoirs if you want a bit of boneshaking on some lumpier trails.

This is an overview (with links to some other trails - Manifold and Monsall) ... http://www.derbyshireuk.net/longdendale_trail.html

And a bit more detail ... http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home....ycle-route
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Cheers Kingy.....well we didn't go nuts over the price as I reckoned £1650 for a bike that will 'hopefully' and not 'definately' get reasonable use was quite expensive enough........if it encourages MrsC to get out and about on it it will have done it's job as without the both of us out for a social ride (and some exercise cycling to the pub) my Cannondale doesn't stand much chance of being used.....I prefer a ride out for both of us rather than by myself which I find boring.  

Those 'lekky' cheats on Strava I have read about....also I recall there was one guy entered a race on a bike with the battery etc well hidden and the motor so small no one noticed.....but IIRC he did 'come clean' after winning and owned up to doing it as a 'blind' test for the bike.  Sneaky but eventually honest.  I suppose there will always be those that cheat....but in the end they are only cheating themselves.

Thanks for the tip on the trail....it's a lovely part of the country we would both like to explore......gentle trails only you understand not the 'Ironman' stuff you and JJ and others up there get into....anyway have fun out there and be safe.  Cheers for now.
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Ay up matey, some how missed these posts on your return to monkeyland.
Sounds like you've been on many an adventure and good to read your getting into the biking a tad more.
Not be long before your tagging along with us on a monkey ride somewhere Wink
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
Hoping to do more JJ...done sod all really for months but now MrsC has her 'lekky' bike fingers crossed for some 'two wheel' time....