Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bomb Scare at Old Trafford ... At least we were up off our seats for once!
It's been all over the news and is yet another embarrassment for the club in a season I'm sure they will want to forget. A pretend 'bomb' used during a training drill last week was left in one of the toilets in Old Trafford. It was discovered by a fan before the game against Bournemouth on Sunday (final game of the season) and so a full evaquation was required. We were in the East (K) stand opposite the area concerned. We were held in and kept ourselves upto date with twitter and text messages ...

[Image: IMG_20160515_155902_zpsa7qpg8ik.jpg]

Quite odd. Our stand 3/4 full, but people who never miss kick off weren't in. South Stand (to our left) also nearly full, but we watched the other two stands empty completely, then stewards do a mickey mouse sweep of the stands before Police sniffer dogs were let loose. 

[Image: 20160515_145959_zpslsbjqhyi.jpg]

Now we have to go back tomorrow night (great - night game to leave me knackered all week) to watch a game of no importance at all as the finishing places were all sorted out in our absence. I appreciate they acted based on what they assumed was a credible threat - but it wasn't, could have been avoided and has ended up costing a lot of people a lot of time, money and inconvenience. I especially feel sorry for the travelling Bournemouth fans and the coaches of United fans from further afield. 

So far United have said nothing, but I've heard via the BBC that United are planning to refund people that bought tickets and credit Season Ticket holders for the game. Sounds good, but for season ticket holders, if you aren't renewing I bet you won't be able to get that credit changed into a ££ refund. 

Apologies if I sound apathetic about this 'bomb scare', but this season United (as a club) have been beyond useless on many occasions (particularly with their treatment of match going fans) and this really is just the icing on the cake.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Maybe one of their players (if you can call them that) wasn't fit to play so they concocted the whole thing to force a postponement?

Dunno why they panicked - no self-respecting terrorist would waste good explosives on that building anyway Wink

Sucks to have a wasted day though. How long were you kept penned in your stand before you were allowed to go?
Arf! Big Grin Tongue

Bournemouth will have fancied that game. They can finish a place or two higher and get a few million quid more, so it's a big game for them. Still is tomorrow. 

For us, it's all over now. 5th place at best and Europa league. Maybe the FA Cup, but that shouldn't be used to try and portray this season as anything but a shambolic mess. Missing top four does mean that at some point we should get an announcement that the Dutch Cloghead has gone. Maybe after the FA Cup as they won't want to take the spotlight away from that. 

We were kept in about half an hour after kick off. (So in there for about 50 mins as we were early). Others were stopped at the turnstiles from about 2.45 / 2.50pm. 
United didn't announce anything but enough people could get a phone signal to keep us fully updated. We knew at 3pm it was delayed by 45 minutes, then knew it was a bomb scare as we watched developments in the stand. Was humerous that Old Trafford announced nothing at all to keep fans calm, but we all knew exactly what was going on throughout and it made no difference.  Big Grin

Everyone got up and left once we knew it was abandoned. The stadium announcers were a few minutes behind and were only asking people to leave as we were walking out.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Just like the rest of Manchester then, sounds like they haven't got to grips with the fact that mobile technology allows people to be better informed earlier than before. Still, makes for a good story to tell the grandkids - "here, did I ever tell ya about the time I survived a bomb threat?!?" Tongue

Much like Schumacher and F1, maybe Man Utd. have had their day and its time for them to retire from the league? Or maybe we should aim to make football more interesting by implementing new rules to force more passing between players? Get Man Utd. to come up with the rules, maybe then you'll have a better shot in next years league? Big Grin
We need to re-instigate the [cough] brown paper bag payments [cough] to referees and PL officials.  Wink Tongue
Are you suggesting that you stopped doing that for a while?? Tongue
(05-17-2016, 10:27 AM)FraserG Wrote: Are you suggesting that you stopped doing that for a while?? Tongue

Why do you think we are not top of the league anymore!  Wink Big Grin