Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weekend in London a nice break from training.
I've been looking forward to last weekend for a while. We (Jason my brother, Mark our footy mate and myself) had tickets for the FA Cup Semi Final at Wembley (United v Everton) and had arranged to stay at my nieces (Halimah) Penthouse Flat in Hackney. We always enjoy out London trips and with the training I've been doing it was a welcome break. In truth I only missed one day of training (Sunday) as I was out on the bike on Friday and Saturday was a 'rest day'.

This is the view from the flat. It's a huge three bedroom place which is evidently worth a million quid. 

[Image: 20160423_131635_zpsfceyqtnr.jpg]

[Image: 20160423_131633_zpsvibhz94j.jpg]

[Image: 20160423_131630_zps1oth3z6d.jpg]

A quirky clock in the flat. Halimahs friend Yaz spotted one at an expensive restaurant and went and bought one herself. 

[Image: 20160423_131810_zpswpc6mls0.jpg]

[Image: 20160423_131816_zpshijvfsij.jpg]

Before the game we went out in Camden in a pub which seemed to be struggling with it's theme ...

[Image: 20160423_143111_zpsrjiqneic.jpg]

I wasn't complaining that they had Moto GP on though! 

[Image: 20160423_143117_zpsrflf1y5t.jpg]

A few beers and a bit of food and we carried on to Wembley.

[Image: 20160423_164023_zpsmvhkptu5.jpg]

[Image: 20160423_164030_zps5wfyudnv.jpg]

We got in with a few minutes to spare and the seats were pretty good. Row 15. Mind you, for £50 you hope to get a reasonable view!

[Image: 20160423_170950_zpsglk4bbfw.jpg]

We got a cracking view of the very late (and timely) winning goal and then the final whistle went ...

[Image: 20160423_190535_zps6vakehys.jpg]

[Image: 20160423_190539_zpslqjveyl5.jpg]

After the match we met Halimah in West Hamstead. Went in a nice (big) pub called The Railway, but they had shown the football and were serving drinks in plastic glasses. I don't like that at the best of time, but especially when I'm paying £5 a pint! So, we quickly moved down the road to The Gallery. Now this was my kind of pub. Smaller, cosy, quirky and it didn't have the normal generic pumps at the bar - It was guest beers, caft beers, coctails etc. Fantastic. Halimah also met some friends who had reserved a table for their celebrations ...

[Image: 20160423_205812_zpsiho3ewsd.jpg]

They didn't stay long and passed the table on to us!  Tongue

This was the view looking down at the bar from our table. Really nice place. Could have stayed longer than the few drinks we did have and would happily go back. 

[Image: 20160423_205926_zpsqwr5ws2n.jpg]

We made our way back to Hackney and had a few more drinks locally, then back to the flat for a nightcap or three. Cracking weekend. The only downside is that we are now in the FA Cup Final to be played in May. We are guaranteed to get tickets (yipee), but Jason and I are in Amsterdam for a friends stag do! FFS!  Dodgy Rolleyes So, as a thanks to Halimah we have said she can have one of the tickets and Mark is taking his son Joe - so all three tickets have good homes. 

Makes me chuckle as when the stag do was arranged, we only agreed to go as we though there was not a cat in hells chance we would get to the final the way we were playing!  Tongue Guess we will be watching the final in a bar in Amsterdam. Have to say, as compromises go that's not going to be too bad.  Wink Cool
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
This started out as an interesting post then it turned into footy and got boring!

Sounds like you had a good weekend away though. Agree, £5 a pint in plastic isn't exactly ideal. Of course, if football fans had a better reputation for not being rowdy fighters, such precautions probably wouldn't be needed Tongue

It's probably better to be in a pub in Amsterdam for when you lose the final - it'll be easier to drown your sorrows Tongue
(04-25-2016, 10:48 AM)FraserG Wrote: Of course, if football fans had a better reputation for not being rowdy fighters, such precautions probably wouldn't be needed Tongue

Rubbish. There are no rowdy fans at football. It's a media led conspiracy and you are just asking for a slap by saying that.  I'll kick your arse up to your shoulderblades you southern poof.  Angry

........ Oh, hang on, "rowdy reputation"  ......  Wink  Tongue Lol

I know you love my football threads really. Even if it's only to have a moan  Big Grin

Sadly I've a feeling we will comfortably beat Crystal Palace. We played them in the league last week (mid week) and they were terrible. We aren't good, but they are shockingly bad so I think I'll miss our only odds on chance of lifting silveware this season. But, I'm sure I can celebrate the victory, or drown my sorrows more than adequately in the Dam. Maybe even a bit of therapeutic window shopping!  Angel Shy
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007