Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home plugs
Ok my techie friends, your help & advice is needed.
My PC is in the dining room and the router is the other side of the wall in the living room and suffer from loss of connection and slow speeds at times.  I recall a discussion which included possibly using homeplugs on here, Roger did you ever try them?  Next question, did they work and what ones did you get/recommend? 

So, would someone like to assist a helpless female - or even me  Tongue
I use them and have put them into my mum and dads too. I needed to get internet to a satellite receiver that was in a different room to the router. They work prefectly. 

There are two types of homeplug. 

Standard. This is just a fixed plug with ethernet (internet) cable connection. 
Eg:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0084Y9N3O/r...AP3BBXANDJ

AC Pass Through. This is where the homeplug is also a socket so you can plug into it. Very handy if you are low on available electric sockets as it allows you to use one socket for two items. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PLA4215-Powerli...+twin+pack

Just weigh up if the homeplugs will fit if your sockets are low. there are lots of different brands/ sizes so it's not an issue.

To use them ...

You plug it into a socket near the router. Plug an ethernet (internet) cable from the router to the homeplug. Thats the job half done.
Go into the other room and plug the second homeplug into a socket near your PC. Now plug ethernet (internet) cable into the homeplug and the other side of it into your computer. Job done. You have wired internet.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Kingy you are a star, many thanks for that.  Heart I'll get some ordered - then I'll have to find something else to moan about  Rolleyes
No problem Judy - and that is of course a ladies prerogative Wink
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
I know, and Iplan to make the most of it! Smile
Hi BB.....no I didn't go for home plugs in the end. I think we were looking at them when we needed a new 'box' (smart thingymajig) for the TV but the existing 'gizzmo' appears to be handling the connection just fine. Good to see our resident 'teknocrat' got you sorted with recommends.....
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Well, I am impressed. Plugged 'em in and speedy connection staying connected! 

Many thanks for your advice, Kingy, very much appreciated Heart
No problem.Glad to be of help. They are really good.  If you ever want more connections in the roombyou are using the pc/home plug so you can run another PC or anything requiring internet just ask as that is simple to sort out now.