Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's that time again ... New Phone.
I've never managed to adapt to the size of the Nexus 6 'phablet phone'. It's brilliant in the office or at home where you can really see the benefit of the excellent screen - and the size of the handset is irellevant. 

But, venture outside and it is like trying to carry a surf board around with you! 

I've struggled keeping it in jeans pockets when out. It won't fit in some jacket pockets and is the tightest squeeze ever into my wait pack for cycling/ running. 

That said, I've managed for seven months as otherwise it's a great handset and very very powerful. 

But, I dropped it last week and smashed it. I've arranged the repair - but he phone will be wiped during the process. So, it makes sense to buy a new phone if I need to set it up again.  Cool Tongue

So, goodbye Nexus 6 - and to the Nexus range who I've stayed loyal to since the N4. 

And hello to a 64 Gig Galaxy S6 Edge. 

I looked at all of the reviews and reports and most said the only reason to go for an S7 (just released so £650 ish) was as it has expandable memory. 

What I really didn't like about the S7 is they have made it bigger - increasing screen size from 5.1" to 5.5" - so not far off the Nexus 6. 

So, a no brainer really. Save some money and get a 64 gig handset (so no storage problems as I've yet to fill 32 gig) and get the smaller handset I've missed soooooo much! 

Firs impressions are it is an amazing looking handset. Makes the Iphone look like a pig by comparison. I'm just getting it all set up as it only landed today. I'll update the thread when I've got all my apps on, my chosen launcher etc.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
I've got the Nexus 6p I have always had I phones but got bored of the restrictive apps and software. So went for an android unit, it's big but I've got used to it now. Won't really fit in a Jean pocket and would be concerned it would get damaged.
Great features really good camera and can't fault it so far other than using the camera as heart sensor the flash vets very hot.
My Samsung......Sony (shows how much I don't know about fones or phablets whatever they're called.....LOL) 'desktop' size mobile....Xperia Ultra......bloody great big thing but does just what I want it to...and I can read stuff on it.  Doesn't readily fit in pockets but not too much of a problem.  Due an upgrade in June but going to keep it and go for a reduction in my contract.......result.
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Best.
Phone.
I've.
Ever.
Owned.

It's all set up. I've ditched the Samsung 'touchwiz' interface and all associated apps.
I'm using the same launcher I used on the Nexus 6 (Smart launcher) so it's almost identical to the Nexus Experience (Smart Launcher & latest Marshmallow os), but with a few more bells and whistles from the phone itself.

The fingerprint scanner to open the phone works perfectly and is brilliant. The night clock on the 'Edge' is great. Very clever little add on. The screen is incredibly clear. That really surprised me. I put a screen guard straight on and you can't visibly tell it has one. I'm also not having any issues with the smaller screen size - as the screen is so clear it's not noticable on the apps I use.
But, by far the biggest positive is that even with a Spigen Neo Hybrid case on the phone fits into my jeans pocket, any jacket pocket and easily in my training pack. I've missed that with that Nexus 6 phablet phone. It's size really was a pain in the arse.

Oh, and looks wise - I know it's a phone, but aesthetically it's the dogs whatsits. Smile

Very pleased with the purchase - and so pleased I didn't go for the S7 Edge as I'd have fallen straight back into the 'phablet' trap. Being out and about (and fell running today) have shown me what a difference a smaller sized phone makes.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
See, size isn't everything! Tongue
(03-30-2016, 09:09 PM)BB Wrote: See, size isn't everything! Tongue

Arf!  Big Grin Big Grin
Update 5 months on. 

Still by far the best phone I've owned to date - and it fits in any pocket (including back pocket of jeans) when I'm out without worrying about it falling out.  Cool  

Keep it in a Spiegen Neo Hybrid case and it looks mint in that, but take it out and it does look every inch an expensive handset. 

Still very quick, runs everything smoothly (inc. Kodi for the football when out and about). Have stuck with 'Smart Launcher Pro' in preference to the Android Launcher or others I have as it looks great and has all the functionality I prefer. 

The kids are mithering me to change handsets as they both want it - but I'll be keeping this a while. Love it. 

My nephew got an S7 so I've had chance to look at them side by side. No visible reason (speed funtionality etc) to go for the 7 over the 6 - and the 7 is too 'phablety' big.
Does it play Pokemon Go efficiently?
(08-25-2016, 09:32 AM)FraserG Wrote: Does it play Pokemon Go efficiently?

Arf!  Big Grin

The Boy is playing that a bit. Quite impressed with how much mileage he is covering. Went out with him one afternoon as we had time without Yaz and Aliya. Reckon we covered 6+ miles hunting for the feckers and then a bit more for the eggs.
The GPS tracking on the app is slightly out, it's usually good to multiply your egg hatching by 1.5 to get an actual distance walked. Unfortunately I don't walk too much as the office is a pokestop so the pokemon come to me when there's lures on Tongue