Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Justgiving Page for the Fred Charity ride in aid of Macmillans.
Just to keep all of you lovely people that have sponsored me upto date, I thought I'd give you an idea of the training I'm putting in. Whilst I know the 'Fred' is a few months away, I'm wanting to make sure I prepare properly so I don't let myself or my lovely sponsors down. (Or that racing pigeon Dave 'SpeedymadR6' who I'll be riding alongside). 

My training 'proper' started w/c Jan 18th - the week I started riding my new bike for work commutes. 

W/C 18/1/16 ... 4 days, 106 miles. 
W/C 25/1/16 ... 4 days, 118 miles.
W/C 1/2/16 ... 4 days, 149 miles. (Fourth ride 56 miles, 5000 ft climbing)
W/C 8/2/16 ... 4 days, 160 miles. (Fourth ride 63 miles, 6300 ft climbing)

Each week has also seen a 10 mile fell run with 1900 ft of climbing to help strengthen the legs up.

Weather and time permitting my plan is to get as close to 100 miles as I can Tues/Wed/Thurs commuting and then have one longer ride per week. 
Ideally I'll build the one 'longer' ride up in distance and climbing as the weeks move on, as time in the saddle will be important if we are looking at the 'Fred' taking seven to eight hours.  

This week didn't start too well this morning as Google Lady told me it was -2 degrees but would feel like -6 degrees. I wandered outside to check for ice at 4.15am and whilst there was a bit, the roads seemed ok. I decided to ride in, but took it very easy so only managed 17 miles rather than the planned 20. I'll try and make that up, weather permitting. And Google lady was right - It did feel like -6 or less. I had to stop at one point and stick a 'buff' on my head as it was bloody freezing! Big Grin
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
I've seen your rides on Strava and it looks like your putting in a great effort, good on ya mate.
Mind you it's a good job you don't have a proper job or you would struggle Smile Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
(02-16-2016, 08:12 PM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: it's a good job you don't have a proper job Smile Smile

Now why on Gods green earth would I want one of those!  Wink Tongue

... Currently stand at 90.0 miles for this week (Tues/Wed/Thurs). 

Have had ice (Tues morn), heavy persistent rain (Wed morn) and freezing fog (Thurs morn) just to add to the fun. A cheeky ten miles or more will ease me past the 100 mile target on the way home tonight. 

Do had plans for a ride tomorrow, but if the weather is crap again I might just have a rest day as the weather is getting VERY tedious now.  Dodgy
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Your doing well getting out in this crap weather.
I have been lucky ish with my weather slots but then I only really get out twice a week, Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings.
I've not been out now since Sunday because it was proper crap Wednesday evening so stayed sat on sofa.
I should be out Saturday morning out the road bike again to try the different saddle and then again on the mtb Sunday morning so should get about 65 miles in.
Then I'll be doing the Big Red 65 miles a week on Sunday with two guys from my local bike shop so should be fun as this will be my longest distance in the saddle Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
Quick update on my Fred Whitton charity progress. As the event is now only a couple of weeks ago, I had a push on donations at the end of last week. 

Yogi had very kindly donated a couple of weeks ago, and this push added another chunk of money putting me (online) at £856.16. I'm hoping to break the 1k online, plus I have some offline donations (currently £170) which means Macmillans will get a fair amount from me which I'm really pleased about. 

So, thanks again to all that have donated. I really really appreciate it. I don't do sponsorship often so was unsure how much I would raise. have to say I'm really pleased and in awe of how much people have backed me.  Cool Thanks so much. 

https://www.justgiving.com/Paul-King99
Another update on the Fred and my charity total. I'm now on 'taper' week where I get to do pretty much bugger all as the ride is this Sunday. I've given up looking at weather forecasts as they change daily from heavy rain and wind to dry and sunny. I'll wait until the morning we ride when I can look out of the window!  Big Grin

I did a quick tot up of the mileage I've done training since signing up for the Fred. In total I've trained for 13.5 weeks (upto and including last week). In that time I've ridden 1,852 miles (137 miles a week) and run on the fells 125.8 miles (9 miles a week). There has been a fair bit of elevation (hills) in those miles too. I can hand on heart say that I couldn't have done more and if I'm not ready now I never will be. 

Charity wise today saw me break the £1k mark. I'm currently at £1,066.16 with cash to add (£170 offline) and a couple more people that have said they want to sponsor me. Whatever it ends up I'm over the moon with the amount raised and can't thank my friends (YOU!) enough.  Cool

I've had the bike I will be riding into the bike shop for a service so that it is spot on and ready to go. 
As well as sponsoring me and helping me out price wise the bike shop have given me a race team top and shorts to wear. I really am pleased with how good they have been and continue to be. It really is a top shop. 

I will wear them both (I do like the top a lot) but as it's me there will probably be a pair of mountainbike baggies over the lycra shorts.  Tongue They are incredibly comfy, but its lycra .......  Wink

This is the top: 

[Image: IMG_20160422_191233_zpsgvmusqgb.jpg]

And this is the full kit: 

[Image: 20160430_131118_zpsemq6d2wa.jpg]
Mmmmm Do like the shorts!!
Any chance of them (filled) on Fake or Real?
LOL
More likelyhood of these kind of cycling shorts in Fake or Real Wink

[Image: tight_clothes_bicycle-19.jpg]
At bloody last he is lycra!

Packing my razor as hairy legs and lycra is a no no!

Other option we can wax your legs, your arse and your balls!
See. Thats what's wrong with the lycra deviants! Wink Lol