Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations/Advice
So now that Christmas is out of the way and I'm beginning to firm up my racing calendar for marshalling, I'm looking at getting a bigger bike for the warmer months to commute to race meetings on (I don't think the 125 will cope with the 400mile round trip to Cadwell).

Originally I was going to repair my dad's old bike and use that, however, following some investigations on it the amount of damage done to it has left it uneconomical for much more than a project bike, not ideal when looking for something to use within a few months! So I thought I'd ask you lot what you'd recommend as a bike (model, make, etc.) for commuting to work and the occasional long distance ride to a circuit and back (and maybe even a biking holiday over in the foreign lands of the EU possibly)?

Second thing I thought I'd ask is advice on buying second hand bikes. Not being in this game for very long I'm not 100% sure of what to check or look for when buying from say Auto Trader, and Google is only helpful if you understand it. Again, thought I'd ask you lot as you lot have what Google doesn't - personal experiences.

So if anyone has any good advice to impart, it'd be very much appreciated Big Grin
Kawasaki er6 is a good first time bike and can be bought with or without a fairing. I've seen them with a back box so I'm sure you can get panniers. And it'd be good for commuting.
I recommend you drift round as many motorcycle shops as you can, sit on as many different bikes as you can - off the centre stand so you can get a feel of the saddle height to the ground and the weight etc, (important if a wimpy short-ass like me) then test ride as many as you can and see which you prefer.
Everyone has different likes and dislikes; personally I don't like faired machines but if you are doing commuting or any distance would recommend one. I've done some time on sports bikes but couldn't take the riding position for any length of time nowadays. Oh yes, and don't forget when trying the bikes in the shops that they are trying to sell so don't be swayed unless absolutely convinced it's what you want.

Happy hunting Smile
Really depends on budget, then style.

unfaired road bike - suzuki bandit style 600

tourer - er6, or possibly a BMW

There is also traily type bike or race rep, but I wouldn't recommend these for your usage.

Ideally look for something low mileage and that has been garaged, if it's at all rusty, forget it.

Long MOT would be ideal,

I am a believer that Honda are the most reliable and comfortable bikes.
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember
Stay away from a sports bike, not comfy on a long ride.
Something streetfighter style ( straight bars ) are fun and comfy.
I had an Aprilia Shiver 750 and loved it, fast enough with plenty of punch and came with 3 fuel maps, touring, wet and sports.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
Cheers everyone for the suggestions Smile

What's the law regarding test driving motorcycles (particularly if private buying?) with regards to insurance? Presumably telling the copper you were test-riding it doesn't cut the mustard in this day and age?
I would imagine most shops would provide their own insurance based on a refundable deposit but don't quote me on that. (get it quote! Insurance)
I'm sure you're not the first person who recently passed their test wanting to test ride without insurance. So they must have provisions in place.
For your skill level ... Honda C90 should tick all the boxes.

Reliable faired workhorse during the day. "Pannier system" already inplace for those longer journeys or touring.

[Image: honda%20c90%20(36).JPG]

And weekend plaything in your spare time.

[Image: redding-c90-1.jpg]

[Image: nifty.jpg]

Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
My first bike was a C50, wish I still had it.

Cracking bike.

In all seriousness, a larger engined "step-through" might be worth considering for commuting.
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember
Don't think they have big enough cows for leathers I'd need Kingy Wink

Cheers Yogi Smile

What sort of gear do you guys wear (wore) for long-distance commuting to prevent getting too wet/cold? Most of my gear is ok for the run to/from the office, but when I was doing Lboro runs on the 125 last year it was bitterly cold 100% of the time, no matter how many layers I had, so I'm presuming there's some better gear/brands for that sort of thing?