Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The journey continues...
It seems a long time ago I took my CBT and rightly so. 'twas July 2014 when I took the CBT and August 2014 when I began riding a 125 to work every day. The intention was the pass fairly quickly but several things got in the way.

The first was getting the bike - I got it in August but didn't want to take a test until I felt comfortable with the bike. By the time that happened, it was winter and I didn't want to take a test in winter, so decided to get winter riding experience and take the test in spring. Forward to spring and I ended up at university 2 days a week, so couldn't get the time off for the theory test, let alone the practicals. Idea scrapped till the summer. Forward to July 2015 and finally pass the theory test after getting a morning off to do it. All set to book module 1 practical right?

Nope. Looking at the licences I could get in July 2015, if I passed my test I'd have been on a restricted licence because I was under 24. Lovely government with their lovely licences for bikes... To get an unrestricted licence, if I passed in July, would have required me taking another test after I turn 24. Which was only 2 months later. So I put the tests on hold until after I turned 24 so I could go straight to an unrestricted licence and never have to worry again.

Came back from India with that plan and work just went manic for some reason. Like they knew I was going to be angling for a bit more time off for non-work projects.....

So I've only just been able to organise module 1, which I'm doing training and test for in a few weeks. If I pass that then I can book module 2 (hopefully before Christmas?) and hopefully get the unrestricted licence.

It's all fun and games getting a licence these days! I suspect Kingy has his tale of getting his licence when everything was black and white and it won't be as convoluted as it is now!

Have a look here for how to get your licence these days if you don't already know. It's only a 4 page government document  Huh
Hold a minute, 24 ? your only 24 ??? pmsl hahahahahahaha Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
24? I can't even remember that far back!
(11-10-2015, 03:20 PM)FraserG Wrote: I suspect Kingy has his tale of getting his licence when everything was black and white and it won't be as convoluted as it is now!

Ahhh, the good old days ...

Did CBT. Took a few lessons. 
Hired a 125 and rode it for a day in hail and snow. 
Took my test. 
Passed test and got full unrestricted license. 
Bought new Kwak ZZR-600. Cool  Shit myself at how fast it was. Big Grin  ... Learnt to ride properly!

(11-10-2015, 08:37 PM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Hold a minute, 24 ? your only 24 ??? pmsl hahahahahahaha Smile

Pmsl  Big Grin

Get it sorted Fraser. You will enjoy a more powerful bike if/when you get the opportunity to get one. They are much easier to ride and you feel safer as they have a bit more grunt to get you out of situations and much better brakes when you need them. Also opens up the chance of a bit of touring which is a great craic if you can get a couple of likeminded folk interested. 
I did my lessons and test in winter. Was either freezing and wet through or tip toeing around in hale/ light snow for a few lessons. Fortunately test day was a nice, bright day though.  Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
My test was back in the mid 80's when you had a part 1 riding round cones in a school tennis court and then part 2 riding around the town hall with the examiner standing on the street watching you lol
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
I did a cbt and direct access 3 day course test on the afternoon of the 3rd day, kept my DT 125 for a while then got an Aprilia Pegaso 650 single cylinder thumper. Moved onto a Fazer 600 then got my ZX6rr had a Dzr 400 sm until it got lifted.

You'll get on a big bike and think christ this is fast but after a couple of miles you dont notice it and they instil much more confidence.
Did my first bike test in 1972...bike Francis Barnett 200cc Villiers engine 2 stroke.  Failed.  Got half way round the test route managing to get past the 'notorious' emergency stop area (examiners on foot running from place to place to watch and at some pont jump out forcing an emergency stop!!!!  Never happen these days).....engine coughed and spluttered....I forgot, in my nervous state to turn the fuel on again when I left the test offices to do the test.........doh!!  Apparently an un-demanded stopping/stoppage was classed as a breakdown so instant stop of the test.

Fast forward to early 1980 something.....got 2.8 Granada car, got HGV 1 licence and kids think it's highly amusing Dad rides a 125cc bike on L plates so super course/test booked in February.  Weather crap, roads slippy/icy/snow/rain.  Monday-Thursday training...Friday morning test time.  Lost examiner at traffic lights, back to test centre, few daft questions on highway code and passed.
NOW..........Saturday morning off to bike shop in Bristol........TZR125 gone......GSXR 750 K model bought, insurance sorted and holy feck an eye opening, sphincter tightening 40 mile ride home..................now that's how to do the test to big bike thing.   LOL

Good luck FG.....too many hoops these days to jump through.
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
1966... 200cc Triumph Tiger Cub. Exactly like RogerC forgot to turn petrol on. Got a few hundred yards up the road and stopped. Thought "Bollocks, that's blown it and relaxed from there on in." Did the rest with a "devil may care" attitude and was told I had passed. Siezed the Cub up due to ignorance/neglect, crashed my sisters Honda Wisp (don't ask!!!) then got a Triumph 650 Thunderbird and never looked back. Raced Grass Track on Triumph twins and BSA singles (life saver cos at that age on the road I would not have survived lol) Wife & child next, then modern Triumph,BMW & Suzuki twins. Never owned a Japanese 4 cylinder bike, test rode a Triumph Street Triple & fell in love. Met Judy (BB) fell in love again & went from one bike (ST) to present seven. Five classics, two moderns (her fault entirely) Passing your test & learning to ride are two different things. I wish you the best of luck on your test & much enjoyment on spreading your wings & learning to fly.
(11-12-2015, 12:58 AM)Ghost Wrote: Suzuki twins.... 

Five classics, two moderns 

We need some pics of those bikes Ghost! I love a classic bike or two and you have five.  Cool

As for those Suzuki twins Big Grin  ...

[Image: 93f9cc389dd997de2fd217fb18651569.jpg]
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
1985, lent a mates CB100N, rode round some cones, then rode round the block watched by the examiner. Pass.

Suzuki X7, seized it a few times, crashed it a few times, commuters then cars.

Back into bikes about 10 years ago, since when I've never had less than 2.
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember