Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountainbike Mudguards
In the past I've always fitted 'Crud Guards'. Very good mudguards which work really well. But, they are big bugger and mark wherever you fit them (especially front one strapped to the frame). I've also broken a couple with comedy offs. 
Had a look around and have decided to try MuckyNutz Facefender (front) and Buttfender (rear). It's the front that caught my eye as I want to stop the spray and crap flying up at me, but would prefer to avoid fixing a guard to the frame. 

Front: http://www.muckynutz.com/mudguards/face_fender
Fitting instructions: http://www.muckynutz.com/mudguards/face_...nded_black

Rear: http://www.muckynutz.com/mudguards/butt_fender
Fitting instructions: http://www.muckynutz.com/mudguards/butt_...nded_black

I did stick the rear on when I rode with Dave on Saturday morning. Horrible conditions with gusting wind and rain. I hadn't bothered looking at the fitting instructions and hadn't fixed it inplace properly. It still stayed where it should and must have worked as my camelback (unlike the rest of me!) wasn't covered in shite!  Big Grin

I'll get the, fitted properly in time for a ride this week.

Anyone else using them - or similar?
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
I've never really used a front mudguard, and usually go for the abs plastic rear that fit onto the seatpost but the new full suzzer has a dropper so no real room for one. So these would be ideal are they robust though? I mean will they leave ugly bend marks if they catch on anything with them being so lightweight.
They seem quite strong and durable despite being thin enough not to snap if you know what I mean. I'll get a few photos of mine once fitted.

I'm trying the rear just for the sake of trying. I think that will work as it is positioned to stop the main spray from the back wheel. It did well on Sat as despite being fitted badly by me (doh!) it still held onto the seatrails as I kicked it and dropped onto it when hanging over the back wheel several times.

It's the front I'm really interested in. I'm going to tape the forks up first so when I velcro the guard inplace even if it moves it won't scratch/ damage the forks. On Sat morning I was black ... literally ... from spray off the front wheel. If it stops a percentage of that I'll be happy. I went for the standard guard.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
I've used one of these rears for a few years now, and it's even better now as it stops and crub from getting on my dropper seatpost.
[Image: topeak-defender-m2-rear-mudguard.jpg]

The front is one like this which stops a fair amount of crud getting on the front fork seals.
[Image: MUMNBF1K_00.jpg]
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
Is that topeak rear guard Nige I was looking at that type but there's very little post showing from the frame.
I have that topeak rear guard, works a treat plus I run a Marsh Guard up front (same style design as the Mucky Nutz) Rode on Saturday and it managed to avoid getting a serious amount of crap on my face. I love the front fenders as they are so light and do the job it just stays on all year round now.
That ^^ big rear mudguard is similar to the Crud Guards I've always ran. Just don't want something that big now. I've broken two or three of them and I find they get in the way and make it awkward trying to stack the bikes in the garage. (Have nine bikes in the garage and four are mtb's with those big mudguards on so it takes some nifty space management! Wink ).
Phew an i thought i was a bike hoarder, i do have 2 in the loft as well though.
Hehe, we have 12 motorbikes - now that does take some juggling!
(11-09-2015, 07:41 PM)croweman Wrote: Is that topeak rear guard Nige I was looking at that type but there's very little post showing from the frame.

Yes this is the topeak m1 defender, I think
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad