Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone been to Lanzarote?
After travelling to India in September which occurred without my partner, I've been bullied into going away again in December for some 'winter sun' (that's what she called it anyway) to Lanzarote. Managed to get a good deal (in my opinion anyway, but not having much holiday experience who knows?) on an all-inclusive booking. Anyhow, thinking ahead of things to do without spending all the time on the beach, has anyone been/has recommendations on places to visit or things to do on the island?
I've been for the past two years mate, go and see the Timanfaya volcanos, great little trip and well worth it for the scenery
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
Been a few times.  If you want to get out and about a rental car is advisable.  Never used public transport there so can't comment on that.  Basically it's a place in the sun, all year round sun full of what you might expect in terms of English breakfast served here, sports bars showing mostly poofball sorry soccer.  There are some interesting places around and some very nice 'Spanish' patronised eateries scattered around the island.  As you've never been before a trip to Timanfaya is well worth it.  The official trip once, you get there (I wouldn't bother with a coach trip...too regimented and time constrained), is worthwhile as it's your first visit and lunch there, cooked over heat  emanating from the bowels of the earth is an experience.  Then a run out to El Golfo purely to see a weird phenomenon on the beach.  If you go to El  Golfo give the first restaraunt you come to a miss...there are much nicer ones further along in the village.

Playa Blanca at the far end of the Island is nice...good beach and eateries.  Puerto Calero has a very nice marina and more eateries.  There's submarine and other touristy excursions from there.  If you go it's best parking on the hill before you venture far into the place as there's little if any parking further in.  Puerto del Carmen (where we usually stay) has a nice harbour and restaurants on the harbour wall...Casa Roja is an ideal location for that 'special' night out dinner especially if you can get a table outdoors overlooking the harbour......the fish there is fabulous....in the restaraunt that is not the harbour although one night there we saw massive sting rays gliding effortlessly around the harbour.  Only change there from our last visit is the pedestrian walkway that's been built in front of it sort of spoils the view a bit.

Playa Honda is dull and Arrecife we tend to disregard as it is too busy.  Orzola is a nice little village right on the northern tip of the island.  Nice eateries there.....serve lovely tapas and the boat to La Graciosa goes from there.  Pick a nice day (not too windy) and it's a nice trip over.  The island is a bit touristified where the boat pulls in as you might expect but it is very nice and if I remember correctly you can hire cycles to pedal off and explore.......oh and if you go take a camera as the sights over and back are quite photogenic on a cloudless day.  The colours are intense.  Out and about you will most likely see a lot of signs with 'Manrique' something or other.  As an artist he influenced Lanzarote a lot.  The 'Jameos del Agua' is worth a visit.

Other than that there's the usual touristy things and nightlife you'll find on Google or Trip advisor.  Oh if you get a car remember the road signs give little if any warning...if the sign points left to 'xyz' it means there and then not however many mtrs further on.  If out exploring just go where you fancy because the place is so small if you do wander off the beaten track (remember the potential insurance costs regarding your hire car) the 'beaten' track is never far away.

Have a nice time...it really is quite a pleasant relaxing place.......or as frantic as you make it..........oh and one last thing If you see a sign saying 'Mirador' (viewpoint) whatever something or other it really will be worth you while following the signs as these places have fantastic views.......Mirador del Rio is probably the most spectacular.
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Cheers guys, I didn't think there was too much but it seems like there's plenty to get stuck into. I'm presuming they drive on the wrong side of the road out there? I'm not a big fan of public transport even when I know the system in the UK so was contemplating a hire vehicle. Are they reasonably priced, or should I try and book one before hand online? Thanks for the sight seeing suggestions though Big Grin
Book before FG...much easier and you've got it all sorted...car, insurance etc and pick up/drop off at the airport. Best advice is leave gf to get the luggage (if any) and you dash through to hire car office. It hopefully beats the inevitable queue. Auto Reisen is about the best as their on line booking includes 'full' insurance cover including no excess CDW insurance.
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
No, never been. Only do Europe on lads weekends and poofball. I do however have one snippet of knowledge which is guaranteed to make your holiday the best ever:
Remember the golden rule when hiring a car ... Biggest engine available. Practicality and economy are not the criteria here. You have a week to own a car you would never, ever normally drive. Watchwords are ... V6, V8, Petrolhead, MadMax. Smile
You know you want to! Wink
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007