Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need new dining room TV
Hey peeps...got home from Jockland and TV in dining room has died so new one required.  Would like a 'Smart' TV but NOT bigger than 28 inch.....MrsR has stood firm on this one and as space is limited she is right..............so any suggestions please?
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Will you be using aerial connection, sat (so freesat) or both?

Will you be connecting anything upto it? Eg. Sky, or a freeview/ freesat recorder? Anything else?

Can then look at something that suits your equipment.
Eg.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung...y.1982591/

(AV Forums ^^ is a great place to get info on tv and audio equipment).

Any branded (Eg Panasonic, Sony) LCD would do the job. Its worth going for a 'brand' as despite some cheaper makes sharing factory tooling they don't share components.
You may be better with a 32" for choice - plus the design now is almost frameless so a 32" probably only takes the same space as a 28" did a few years ago. Worth having a look and maybe a measure up too.

I think Nige is the most recent to buy a tv (he got a smart one - oh, the irony! Wink ). May have been a Samsung. I'm sure he will confirm and advise as last he said he was very impressed with it.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Cheers Kingy.....unfortunately it has to be 28 inch max.....MrsR really wants one smaller than that but I tell her my sight is not good enough for a smaller one..... Big Grin  ....tv that is.  Thanks for the AV tip I'll take a look....really want a 'Smart' tv so yes internet and all that stuff needed.  No point in getting something that's outdated in the next 5 minutes......
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
I did indeed get a new tv last christmas time and yes it was a samsung smart tv and yes it is great but just a little bit bigger than your looking for at 50" Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
I've got a Samsung smart TV too (30" I think) it's been spot on, but I don't use the smart bit much.

Also got a 28" Panansonic that's been going for years, and is also ace.

I would say to get as many HDMI input sockets as possible, everything is going that way.

Also stick to Sony, Panansonic, Samsung and maybe LG.
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember
Cheers guys...Kingy I just re read your post. It needs freesat and yes will be plugged into an aerial. I'm hoping this way we will have the services of Sky on out lounge TV and freesat on the dining room one which should cover all bases for us.

Cheers Yogi...I'll be sticking to a mainstream branded one for sure. The one that packed up is a JVC lcd, weighs a ton and has only failed recently. Once it's been on for a while it loses the pictur, turn it off for an hour or so and it's fine for however long then it fails again so I reckon something is overheating and causing the problem. Given the cost of buying new against possibly stupid repair bills I reckon a new one is the way to go.
OK people....got a guy coming Monday to see about sorting the equipment/connections whatever is needed for freesat.  Already got Sky HD+ in the lounge so having freesat in the dining room gives us similar setup and functions.

Looking at a Humax+ box for dining room to give pause/record ets same as Sky+ box in lounge.

As for TV we are looking at either of these two:

Sony Bravia

LG 32 inch

Any comments/suggestions etc?   Going to look at TV's etc tomorrow.
(10-22-2015, 03:26 PM)RogerC Wrote: OK people....got a guy coming Monday to see about sorting the equipment/connections whatever is needed for freesat.  Already got Sky HD+ in the lounge so having freesat in the dining room gives us similar setup and functions.

Looking at a Humax+ box for dining room to give pause/record ets same as Sky+ box in lounge.

As for TV we are looking at either of these two:

Sony Bravia

LG 32 inch

Any comments/suggestions etc?   Going to look at TV's etc tomorrow.

Getting freesat is a very simple job Rog because you have a Sky dish and LNB - which are what is used for freesat. 
Freesat is beamed from the same satellite as Sky (Astra 28D), so a sky dish is perfect for receiving freesat.

You already have an LNB with four connections on your sat dish which you use for Sky. 
If you only have one Sky+ HD box in the house then you are only using two of the four connections from your LNB.

All you or an installer need to do is buy Sky Shotgun cable and f-connectors (£10 - £15 all in) then connect one end to the LNB on your dish, feed the wire around your house, drill a hole through the wall and then plug the other end into your receiver. Job done.

Biggest job is making a nice job of running the cable around the house and drilling through the wall. 
I've done this at my house and my parents. With the right tools to hand it isn't a big job.

TV wise I just like Panasonics. I've got Samsung screens and have had LG, but the Panasonic just seem to be a better built quality from my experience/ purchases.  They do have one, but its a few quid more than the ones you linked to ...

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv--...tx32cs510b

It has a nifty feature that is worth asking about if you don't need to record (and its freeview so from the aerial) ...

The Panasonic TX32CS510B has Freetime built-in, which lets you scroll back through TV listings and watch programmes from catch-up services, such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5 without having to open specific applications (you'll need a broadband internet connection).
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Pro's and con's for both really Rog Sony has more HDMI ports LG has more USB ports and a dual core processor, Sony seems to have slightly better reviews and if I were choosing I'd go for Sony purely for brand name and reliability.
Cheers guys. Kingy....I had looked at the Panasonic but discounted it as it's only HD ready and not full 1080p HD which is a requirement.. Regarding the LNB etc the guy coming Monday said about that and would check ours out as well as the condition etc of the dish. Basically he comes recommended as doing a good job......not as some have said a 'near enough is good enough' TV guy as some Sky 'fitters' can be so I'm trusting it will be 'right'.

Off to look over the TV's tomorrow so fingers crossed.