Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back again.....
Hi Peoples....well just read FG's India epic and it makes our just under 3 weeks in Jockland in the motorhome look tame.  Nice read FG ..looks like you had a great time and loads of memories...good and not so.

Our Jockinese excursion was pretty good.  Weather was excellent....almost everyone we chatted to said it was the best yet this 'year'....bloody hell.  Anyway we arrived in Moffat, nice dinner in a local hostelry then journeyed to Loch Lomond.   Next day saw us backroading to Inveraray for no other reason then it's where they keep the 'rarys' that it's along way to tip Tongue   got a great view over Faslane on the way.  The rest of the trip was mostly road trip stuff with sightseeing, castles, scenery etc making the reason for travelling.  Fort William to ascend the cable car up the mountain, motored onwards to the Commando memorial followed by the Glennfinnian viaduct (Harry Potter fame  but still amazing piece of construction).  Got to Oban and did the islands trip to Mull, then bus down to 'tother end of the island, another boat to Staffa and Fingals cave then back to Iona to look around the Abbey...still a place of pilgrimage, then back over to Mull, another coach to the ferry and back to Oban.  Had a couple of nights at Arisaig right on the beach then the weather closed in so we scooted over to Inverness and the East coast.  Scenery quite different but wildlife amazing......Moray Firth is teeming with sea birds and watching Gannets divebombing for fish is amazing.  Moved onto a small site right on the coast...amazing pebble beach went on for miles and yet more sea birds by the hundreds.  Mrs decided we should venture inland so off to Braemar.....another castle and Balmoral nearby but unfortunately both were closed.  From there back over the border to Berwick upon Tweed..........lovely place but pi55ing down most of the time we were there so eased on to Whitby after a couple of nights.........fabulous place.  Very picturesque and pretty good fish and chips.  Found a site pitch that gave us a good night time view of the Abbey.......no sign of the 'fanged one' though and we did venture into the Abbey to check.  From there it was on to Scarborough (just passin through....yuk... full of kiss me quick tat) then Filey...much nicer...then Flamborough Head just to see what's there...and it's pretty nice but no decent sites to stop at so off to Stamford Bridge.  Old here's 'One in the eye for you' Harold was a busy boy....fighting there then getting done over at Hastings in the same year!!  Then the next day it was onto Warwick via York for the last night before home.  Nice site right at the racecourse and minutes from the historic town so we shall return at some point.  So just under three weeks motoring and we're back home......now where to next ??
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Sounds a good trip Rog. We used to do long weekends on the roadbikes. Friday night to The Lakes or the Borders, then upto Fort William Saturday and plenty of riding. Then back down Sunday. Some great roads and scenery to enjoy up there. We saw the trials champs in Fort William when we were there. Some of my mates compete in the (mountainbike) downhill champs there too, but were never racing when we were up there.

Know what you mean about Scarborough. Ironically it has the biggest (and most expensive) Caravan Club site in the UK there. We stayed years ago and it was £35+ a night if I remember rightly. Whilst we aren't fans of Scarborough (very rough) the kids loved the old school arcades. We tended to go to Filey and Cayton though as, whilst much quieter they had lovely beaches. Cayton is a popular one for surfers.
We did enjoy our caravan trips to the East Coast. Just far enough away to feel like you had travelled, but close enough for a long weekend.
We also liked a little Camping and Caravan Club site in Sherrif Hutton which was a good base for York via their very good Park and Ride.

Ahhh, the memories of being a pretend traveller! Wink
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Welcome back Roger
Sounds a lovely road trip in some stunning scenery, I'm very envious of you. I'd love to do this one day.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
Sounds like a good trip Roger, glad to have you back though Smile At least with the motorhome you don't have to worry about any lack of hotel reservations (unless you upset the misses I guess!) Tongue
Thats some milage Rog, great to be able to pack everything up and just go where you please though? King of the road bit like max and paddy but Rog and MrsR instead Big Grin
(10-14-2015, 11:12 AM)croweman Wrote: King of the road bit like max and paddy but Rog and MrsR instead Big Grin

Ha ha. Some of that series was very funny. 

The Plasma TV in the motorhome ...
"Paddy has needs"

Max meets his true love of yesteryear ...
"It's a kind of midget"
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
I have a stand up wash in that sink once a week!

Big bobs bastard beans!

Al-Qaeda water fresh from Afghanistan

I'l give you the grand tour, this is the living room this Paddy's room! Tour over.
Sounds like a good trip, Ghost has never 'done' Scotland so we must get up that way sometime Smile
Cheers peeps.....yes it was a good trip, just over 1200 miles in all in the MH so with boats/ferries/coaches I suppose in the region of 1500 miles.  There were things we wanted to do but couldn't for one reason or another....such as 'closed', weather getting crap so move on or on the way to somewhere else and thinking 'oh well that's for next time' as we pass somewhere interesting.  Kingy if your mates were doing the Nevis range downhill mtb thing they are feckin nuts.  We saw some of the track from the cable car and it looked pretty serious.  Croweman.....I did the Afghan thing for real a few years back....I found the best thing was avoid the water completely unless it's frozen and in a few G&T's Big Grin  ........and BB I had done Jockland loads of times over the years but mostly scaring the walkers etc by blasting past at 250 feet in a Hercules so when we spent the kids inheritance a few years back on the MH Jockinese land was on the list of places to do and it is fabulous.  This was our second trip up there and we're planning on going again hopefully for longer next time as there is so much to see and as there's no real risk of running out of G&T I don't see any limitations.... Cool Big Grin
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Good read matey, envious ? me ? never !
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember