Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police Interview with a bike thief. Interesting reading and some good tips.
An insight into the mind of a bike thief. Good read and fair warning to anyone who keeps their pride and joy in a locked shed ...

Few excerpts:

Quote:it’s what I did for a job. I’d go out every night for hours and hours. I’d go out during the day and do the spotting but all the stealing was done at night. Often I had orders, I knew loads of people, I was known as the ‘bike man’ and people would introduce me to someone who wanted a bike. The rest of it went on Gumtree.

Quote:If the bike had a good lock on it that I couldn’t get off there and then I’d use the angle grinder when I got home. Wire locks aren’t worth bothering with, there’s not a wire lock I can’t crop. D locks are the thing you should have but most people don’t lock bikes in the shed. Why do people spend hundreds, even thousands on a bike and then buy a lock from Poundland? There are some locks that are so poor you can open them with your bare hands. I took one that was padlocked to a lamppost just by wrenching the bike away. The lock just fell off.

https://cambscops.wordpress.com/2015/07/...ike-thief/
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
After my mishap all my bikes are chained with minimum 10mm Oxford chain and padlock ground anchored to the floor. The kwak has a 19mm chain on the rear wheel and an abus granite disc on the front, the WR has a 16mm squire chain hooped through the kwak chain secured to a huge ground anchor with an Oxford nemisis lock. Two side bolts on the door and a garage defender and 24hr CCTV i'm taking no chances this time.
Brilliant. You should give Fort Knox some security consultancy advice with that set up Martin! Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
I went and added up the cost of replacing the bikes and the other hobby bits n pieces contained in the garage

After picking myself up decided to chuck an extra 3 locks on plus ground anchors etc

North of 20 grand and not an engine in the place !! Smile
(08-16-2015, 07:58 PM)Kit Monkey Wrote: I went and added up the cost of replacing the bikes and the other hobby bits n pieces contained in the garage

After picking myself up decided to chuck an extra 3 locks on plus ground anchors etc

North of 20 grand and not an engine in the place !! Smile

Mad isn't it. I haven't and don't want to start adding up what my kit is worth, or the depreciation on some of it! :-(

Sent from my motorola Nexus 6 Using Ez Forum for Android
Mad isn't it. I haven't and don't want to start adding up what my kit is worth, or the depreciation on some of it! :-(

Not on the public part of the forum anyway.
Oh eye, didn't consider the!
Yes agreed ; a mans biggest fear

That the lady of the house will sell his toys for the price he told her they cost Big Grin
This lady (ahem) wouldn't!
(08-19-2015, 07:54 PM)BB Wrote: This lady (ahem) wouldn't!

You are one of a kind though BB. 
Yaz has already said if I 'kop it' she will just phone one of my mates and tell them to empty the garage!  Huh  Evil, pure evil!  Big Grin