Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Nexus 6 reduced by nearly 40% to £303
The Nexus 6 has landed. It's all loaded up. Took minutes with NFC data transfer from N5 to N6. So simple nowadays.

First impression is its a mahooosive handset. Oddly though, once you start using it you forget as the screen is so crisp and clear. Fortunately I can use the handset one handed which probably helps as some reviews I'd read people complained about not being able to do that. Bloody hand midgets. Wink

Only thing I'd not considered is the N6 has a nano sim and my N5 is a micro sim - so I need to sort that out. Free sim is on its way in the post.

I've got a glass screen saver on its way from Amazon and a couple of rear covers from the USA. As usual you can buy two covers plus shipping for less than one cover in the UK.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
A week later ...

Have stuck a tempered glass screen cover on the front. Expensive, but looks the part and is very nice touch/fell for screen input.
The rear covers arrived from the states and thats on too so the phone is protected for normal day to day use.

Also caught a Spigen Case sale and picked a clear case up for £8 delivered. It's perfect for when the phone is in my pack when fell running / cycling. Even when I do fall the phone has more than adequate protection. Won't leave the case on in normal use as it is too cumbersome.

Handset wise the phone is excellent. Quick and a great screen. It's a pleasure to use at home and at work. Battery life is great. It has no problem getting though my day which is generally 17 hours from taking the phone off charge to getting home after a ride and putting it back on charge. I can charge it at work, but I've been interested to see how long it will last.

It really was a bargain. Google only kept the £303 price for a few days before putting it up to £400.

Only issue for me is I still think the handset size is too big for carrying around when I'm out. It will be ok when its colder and I use a jacket, but it feels too big for my back pocket. People said I wouldn't notice that after a week, but they were wrong.
Given all of the phones positives I may still keep hold of it. Much will depend on the size/spec and price of the Nexus released this Oct/ Nov.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
A month later. 

The phone itself is fantastic. Very quick, excellent battery life and a dream to surf the net with or watch vids. I still struggle with its size when out and about as it's just too big for your back pocket regardless of what some people will tell you. I manage, but it's not ideal. That said, everything else about the phone and using it is pretty much faultless. 

The tempered glass screen I added is great, but has started to move slightly on top right. It's let air in a small section. It's also got chipped. This may have saved the phone from some damage so I'll say thats good. I've ordered some standard high clarity screen protectors to replace it as I'm not convinced a tenner for a tempered glass protector was money well spent. 

The Spigen case is excellent. Gives the phone full protection when I'm out cycling or running and it's in my back pack. It only gets used in those circumstances though as it makes the phone too big otherwise. 

Overall I'm very impressed with the N6 and will be happy to keep it a year or two if the new Nexus due out in a couple of months does not hit the price point or spec/quality finish that I want. Oh, and it also needs to be a standard size as I wouldn't stick with this oversized 'phablet' type of phone out of choice.
Sounds like your liking your new phone then.
Is have something like this but they just too big for my pocket when I'm out working.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
For the money I paid (as I got the flash sale price) its a huge amount of phone and very impressive. Only downside (as you say) is that imho it is physically a huge phone too.

It will fit into your back pocket, but if you sit down you have to be aware it is on it's way out of your pocket. It may not fall out, but I'm not confident enough to take the chance so either put it onto a table or into an inside pocket if I have a jacket on. Thats my one and only moan about it, but it is fairly significant in my eyes.