Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First bike MOT
Bike got MOTed today, which made me realise I've had it just under a year and by the end of this month it'll have been a year since I did my CBT.

Time to go do the test I think. The only reason I haven't yet was I wanted to get used to the bike and the roads last year, then it became winter so I decided to wait then I ended up at uni 2 days a week during spring so didn't have time. Now I have the time but not the money but that's what credit cards are for Big Grin mwa ha ha ha.

Anyhow, any tips for the tests (if any of you old'uns can remember that far back (which probably rules out Kingy Tongue ))?
Yes get it done Fraser.
But as for tips then no because it's all changed since I took my test in 1986. Back then You did a part one which was riding around cones in a school yard somewhere and then once you'd passed that you would put in for your part two.
On this you would ride around our local town hall streets with the examiner standing on the street corners watching you hahaha.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
I lost my examiner after the first two corners from the test centre and again towards the end when he missed the traffic lights. Some examiner he was.... he told me to go left, left out of the test centre which I did. The test centre was on a single track dead end road about 200 yds long with only the test centre on it. His left, left meant 'immediate' left out of the test centre, left onto the main road. Feckin numpty did he think I was going to turn right into a dead end?

Anyway FG I would strongly recommend getting your arse...and bike to a centre for at least a couple of lessons/sessions in 'how to pass your test'. It is money well spent because it avoids you going 'relatively' unprepared for the test....and that's money down the drain. I did mine in Swindon.....intensive course.......started Monday morning.....test Friday morning.............job done. Monday-Friday riding a TZR 125.....following month GSXR 750.......yippeeee. Good luck.Smile
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Cheeky git! Wink

Assuming you will be fine with all the general stuff ...

1) Pray your examiner is in a car like mine was.

2) If that is the case, at every given opportunity feck off out of eyesight. If examiner can't see you he can't fail you. Smile

3) When you get taken onto a national speed limit - do it, or make best effort so examiner sees you are confident.

4) If you feck up, don't panic. I overtook an artic in a 40mph zone. He sped up, but I maintained my (slightly) faster speed. Finsihed my overtake as we went into a 30mph zone - so was legally speeding. Examiner later said he was happy with that as I did not make the Artic driver brake or take any action due to my manouvre.

Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
(07-02-2015, 07:10 PM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: But as for tips then no because it's all changed since I took my test in 1986.

I wasn't even born then... Tongue

Cheers guys, consensus seems to be to abandon the examiner ASAP then. Trying to find a date for the theory is like trying to find a needle in a haystack mind, all seem badly booked up. Yet the test is identical (hazard bit is, questions only differ slightly) from the car theory so why I have to do two theory tests is beyond me... if you've done one that should apply to the other. But never mind. Looks like August is the nearest date! >.<
I did mine in 98 a direct access 3 day course on a cb500 which was sufficient for me as like you I had been riding on L's for a good while. 2 full days then half day on the morning of the test, plenty of mirror checks and plenty of life savers (looking over your shoulder). Don't forget to cancel your indicator and practice a turn in the road before hand. It's common sense like your car test.
Cheers, will practice a turn in the road at some point as I haven't done one since the CBT I think. I've enquired with the place I did my CBT to see if they do one of those courses you and Roger have mentioned, fingers crossed they get back to me soon Smile