Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Busy few days
Been a busy few days recently, was up at Three Sisters on Sunday for PDMCC, then at a conference in Loughborough Monday and Tuesday. Conference was good, but not everything was useful (as it usually the way I guess). Got given tips on how to network, guy was not impressed when I said "I don't network because I don't like people." but he persevered anyway.

Then, during yesterday, I find that a couple of people in Norway are aiming to break my world record for longest Chess Marathon. In good spirit, me, my opponent and our ops. guy have already begun planning our come-back should it be necessary!
I'm still recovering from Budapest. I thought I was fine and dandy, but I may have underestimated the number of alcohol units consumed and the lack of sleep! Wink
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
(06-24-2015, 09:08 AM)FraserG Wrote: a couple of people in Norway are aiming to break my world record for longest Chess Marathon. In good spirit, me, my opponent and our ops. guy have already begun planning our come-back should it be necessary!

Translation of their article:

Quote:Odyssey of a new Guinness world record 40 consecutive hours or more playing chess.

Bobby Fischer was right when he said : " Your body has to be in optimum condition Your Chess deteriorates as you do your body can not separate the mind and body. . . " Do you play chess for over 40 hours straight imagine ? two Norwegian players try to beat the Guinness record playing blitz . Report and pictures of the Great Master Ecuadorian Carla Heredia (Thanks Carla !)

From 15 to 26 June the third edition of Norway Chess tournament in Stavanger, Norway plays. Norway Chess tournament is the first Grand Tour Chess and brings together the elite of chess.

But Norway Chess also intends to host a Guinness world record: the longest marathon chess (The Longest Chess Marathon). According to the website of the Guinness World Records, the longest chess marathon was 40 hours and 20 minutes between the Germans and Philipp Häußler Daniel Bergner in December 2010.

On 22 June at 16:00 at Hotel Scandic Stavanger Forus, Norway headquarters Chess, Joachim Berg-Jensen 2183 Elo FIDE and the International Master FIDE rating Magne Sagafos of 2418 started this attempt to beat the Guinness world record the longest chess marathon. "

Joachim and Magne are Norwegian and have 31 years. They play blitz to 5 minutes per player with no increase. For every hour of game players have 5 minutes to rest. Failure to use the five minutes of rest, these are cumulative. To make this record earned Guinness takes at least two expert witnesses who are watching and guarding the game. Until 14:40 pm on June 23, the event included 24 expert witnesses.

Both players are confident of imposing a new Guinness World Record. In fact, Joachim was able to state that tried to establish a new record of 50 hours for the longest marathon playing chess.

In 2013 the University of Keele (England ) published on its website that Matthew Carr and Fraser Greenroyd played for 44 hours and 2 minutes and thus set a new Guinness record for the longest chess marathon. Keele University together with the known company DGT digital boards were the sponsors of this event. Matther Carr explained that the organizing team of the event contacted Guinness Record before the attempt to break the established in 2010. Record Guiness sent them a number of requirements needed to set a new record . Including the need for at least two expert witnesses during the event. In the record of Matthew and Fraser were three expert witnesses.

The main witness was David Welch referee the Federation of England , was also Roger Edwards (then president of the English Chess Federation 2013 ) and the FIDE referee Dave Thomas .

Besides trying to break a Guinness Record , the event raised donations to Peter Pan Nursery , an organization that works on behalf of children with special needs.

And Matthew Fraser said that after the event , one of the organizers , Glenn Harting sent documentation to Guinness Record but has received no response .
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Cheers Kingy, translation helps. It's strange about our attempt not being recognised, as I was sure I'd received something from GWR about it, I'll have to have a double check at my paperwork at home.

Glenn is doing his nut at the moment as he thinks he may have cost us (me and Matt) our GWR as a result but we'll have to wait and see, Matt is chasing with GWR about it.

Worse case scenario is that we have to try again, and you can see a live sneeze again Tongue
Uw a live sneeze again ???? I can't wait Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad