Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My holiday
I took my first holiday from work last week (not counting the Friday's I book off to go to Race Meetings of course) to wind down from coursework and my current research project before I make a start on the next. I was getting quite worked up with all the deadlines so decided to have a week off to unwind. Something nice and relaxing I thought...
Over 9 days I believe I relaxed for all of 3 hours when I started watching Spooks (never seen it and had 3 hours spare so went Netflixing). For a 'relaxing' start I had to rebuild the back fence that had blown down over winter, luckily the weather was brilliant for the Saturday and Sunday that I did that task but it took a long time to figure out (having never fenced before) but I soon got the hang of it, ripped up the remaining old fence and replaced it so now it looks all neat and tidy.
Then I had to mow the lawn (which has not been mown since we moved in because of the fence blowing down, we haven't used the garden much!) which took a couple of hours due to the height of the grass. This was followed by a trip to see family briefly before coming back and thinking "now I can relax."
Nope, the misses had other ideas and said now was a good time to change the upstairs doors (which was on the long term to-do list but not originally for this week!) which she would 'help' with cause she was on half-term as well. So that was a trip to B&Q to buy the new doors and associated equipment and (I blame the 'help') that took Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday to do and I still have one door left to complete!
Friday and Saturday were filled with Oulton Park with Bemsee and following the demise of Hottrax on social media.

All in all, not the best holiday I've ever had. But to make myself feel better I booked 2 weeks in Goa for September instead Tongue

How was everyone else's week?
Sounds like you had a busy rest! Tongue

I've got seven bloody doors to do when I get round to buying them. Well eight really, but I'm leaving one as it's a fire door so is a ball ache. There are others but they are fine as they are. I think we have more doors than sodding rooms if that were possible!
Reckon I'll buy doors then get them fitted. I did them myself last time but I've lent out or lost some of the tools - plus I'll make a crap job of them as I'll get bored at some point and just try to rush. Blush
Thats for another time though!

This weekend. Busy Saturday - Lazy Sunday.

Yaz (New York) and Aliya (Cadets somewhere) were both away, so Saturday got a couple of things done early (20 mile bike ride and meet a customer to exchange some bags for money) then off to Manchester on the train. Myself, Samee, my brother Jason and my Dad. First stop was a trip to 'Forbidden Planet' which is a huge comic/model shop where Samee could spend hours. Bribed him after 30 mins by buying a DC Batman collectible he wanted and we were off to the first bar. Did a few, watched the football (FA Cup) and had a nice meal - then train home. Great boys day out.

Sunday - with crap weather and both girls due home got my 'jobs' done by lunchtime and then spent the afternoon doing bugger all and in the evening decided to load 'Kodi' onto an Amazon Fire Stick I bought a while back as it was on offer through my Prime membership. I do enjoy tinkering with stuff like this. Big Grin

... Oh, and I did pop into the bike shop on Friday afternoon after finishing my VAT return, fielding nearly two hours of phone calls and preparing for company month end. This isn't at all how working from home should be! Wink
I needed some new tyres for my red/winter/hack roadbike. Left the shop with tyres, new helmet and new rather splendid riding glasses that adjust lens colour to the light. Cool

(06-01-2015, 10:03 AM)FraserG Wrote: following the demise of Hottrax on social media.

Eh? Please do expand.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
I think I'll get someone else to fit the doors next time I replace them. This has taken a lot longer than I thought it would!

Should report you for child cruelty, forcing an innocent lad to watch a crap team play Wink

Hottrax have gone into liquidation as of last Friday, cancelling all race meetings this year and track days and leaving a lot of riders out of pocket! But they announced everything on social media which didn't go down well!
Thats exactly my thoughts on the doors mate. Big Grin

And yes, I agree. Arsenal v Villa. It was crap, but the result (primarily who scored) was the final game in our fantasy football season, hence our interest. End result is that Jason won £80 (1st) and I won £40 (2nd). Cool

(06-01-2015, 11:51 AM)FraserG Wrote: Hottrax have gone into liquidation as of last Friday, cancelling all race meetings this year and track days and leaving a lot of riders out of pocket! But they announced everything on social media which didn't go down well!

Oh crap. Not good for customers ... or Hottrax. What a shame.
Not been on FB since last week so have missed that.

I can imagine an announcement on FB wouldn't go down well as many people class themselves as longtime friends of Hottrax, but tbh you normally only find out when you can't get hold of companies. Phones usually die or calls/emails go without response and then you get a belated letter telling you the parasitic insolvency shithouses are involved who will squeeze anything they can from the company at suppiers/ customers expense.
Companies facing insolvency very rarely let people know as they either ...

a) Fight until the end to save the business and safeguard suppliers / customers.
b) Keep schtum as they know no one will sell to them or buy from them if they are in that much financial trouble that liquidation is a proposition.

Never a good time when a longterm business goes into liquidation. I've seen it from both sides. I worked at a company that was bought out and liquidated (staff were all paid up but no suppliers were Dodgy) and we've been stung by a few companies going bump on us to the tune of thousands over the years we've been in business.

Real shame and end of an era.
Doesn't seem that many years ago when TDOs were aplenty and the business was booming.
It got very very expensive though and that (to me) was the beginning of the end. It only takes a shite year of weather (like last year) and your cash flow is screwed. You either can't afford to go on or decide it's not viable.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Well I can comiserate with the demise of Hottrax.....I always used them in preference to any other TDO. Honestly found them to be the friendliest bunch and Big Nige was responsible for my first ever "what the feck was that" moment as I put his teaching into practice and scraped my knee slider for the first time. Nice people...sad to see them belly up.

As for relaxing......I think I might be getting the hang of it.....last 10 days: 4 days rock festival with Status Quo as headliners. visit Ma in law North Wales and now looking forward to 10 days on Isle of Wight. Never been before so hoping it will be good. If not the case of prosecco and few bottles of small batch gin should help. Offered my better half a month in St Maartin recently and she declined. Seems long(ish) haul is out for the time being (NZ was a bit of a trial getting to/from) so it will prob be a month or so in Spain chillin on G&T and sangria.......but definately NOT full english breakfast and wide screen footy in those awful 'home from home' pseudo pubs. So enjoy your doors guys I'm learning to chill and enjoying it....hehe
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
(06-01-2015, 12:35 PM)RogerC Wrote: but definately NOT full english breakfast and wide screen footy in those awful 'home from home' pseudo pubs.

... With English red top newspapers and constant 'happy hours'. Couldn't think of anything worse!

We are (if all goes to plan) off to the Gulf Coast again in August. Love the beaches there as with some you (literally) wave to the nearest people to you a few hundred yards away. And you have to search high and low for a bar showing football aka soccer. Smile
Sounds like you've a great resting break hahaha. Be you was glad to get back to doing your coursework lol
Internal doors are lovely to do, especially when the frames are miles out and the doors need to be trimmed all shapes.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
(06-01-2015, 08:07 PM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Internal doors are lovely to do, especially when the frames are miles out and the doors need to be trimmed all shapes.

You volunteering Wink Tongue
(06-01-2015, 08:07 PM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Sounds like you've a great resting break hahaha. Be you was glad to get back to doing your coursework lol
Internal doors are lovely to do, especially when the frames are miles out and the doors need to be trimmed all shapes.

Haha yeah the coursework was the easiest thing I did. The walk to the post-office to post it was also far more relaxing despite the tourists!
(06-01-2015, 08:46 PM)Kingy Wrote:
(06-01-2015, 08:07 PM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Internal doors are lovely to do, especially when the frames are miles out and the doors need to be trimmed all shapes.

You volunteering Wink Tongue

Too far for me to be traveling Wink
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad