Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone using 'Nest', 'Hive' or 'Tado' smart heating thermostats?
Just an update a few months on ...

Have continued to tweak it until we've got temps that suit the house. Now, other than occasionally turning it off completely we never touch it.

Daytime is set to 19 degrees. Nightime is set to 15 degrees.
Allowing for the time it takes to warm the house (and for it to cool down) we have the heating on during the week from 7.30am and off at 9pm. Weekends its on 9.30am and off 9.30pm.

We've found this works spot on. House is never cold. To be honest we sometimes end up a bit too warm in the front room (where the thermostat is) or bedrooms (with heat rising) so end up opening the door or a window to cool it down! Not a bad thing though as it's better a bit too warm than too cold.
How people live with heating set to 21 degrees (like my neice) I don't know!

Even though the heating is ^^ set for all day, once folk leave the house it imediately turns off and lets the temp drop to 16 degrees. It's assuming you aren't out too long or you would switch it off. This is a great feature as you can be out for a few hours (or all day) and the house stays warm without the heating firing. Worst case if it drops below 16 degrees it just fires up long enough to edge it back up.

If you know you are out all day you just turn it off and then it will only fire the heating if the temp drops below 5 degrees.

I can't yet quantify how much money it has saved as the ongoing bills will tell me that in real terms, but as we have the heating on MUCH less compared with our previous use I will be amazed if its not paid for itself quickly.

That said, the most impressive thing for me is that we've now got a warm house all the time. I always used to get home to a cold house when Yaz was working. As I could come in anytime from 6.30 to 9pm I never set the heating as it was a waste. Now the Tado picks up when I get close and fires it up. Niiiice. Smile

So far, very impressed.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone using 'Nest', 'Hive' or 'Tado' smart heating thermostats? - Kingy - 01-06-2015, 06:31 PM