Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone using 'Nest', 'Hive' or 'Tado' smart heating thermostats?
I did look into the installation instructions and I'd be fine bar wiring it into the boiler we have. It has one unit linked to the boiler which 'takes over' control via your thermostat and programmes (times) you set up. I started reading the instructions and slowly got lost in the descriptions and warnings and just thought feck it I'll just pay the installation if I get one!

Coincidentally W.Bosch serviced our combi yesterday and I asked the chap about them. He said they do work very well. WB are introducing one this month (Wave), but its only compatible with their newest range of units. The boiler chap said there were no issues with compatibility (of Nest or Hive) and it wouldn't affect the warranty as it was essentially just a smart timer/controller.
He did say I should get a new (condenser) boiler as that would save me 20% on gas a year.
I said - Yes, but its a big investment (+/- £2k installed) considering this boiler is spot on.
I asked him to consider the 'Nest' as a comparison. £250 investment claiming a £150+ saving a year which is about 12% saving a year. So, spend £2k and save 20% or spend £250 and save 12%. The figures are by no means very accurate, but its a no brainer.

Reckon I'll get the 'Nest' one sorted. Will look around at prices properly first though and see if any offers or deals are likely. We are not really using heating at present with it still being warm so I just want it installed for October as I reckon temps will be steadily dropping then and it will start to 'learn' our use and save us money straight away.
Plus I just want to switch the heating on and off with my phone! Tongue
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone using 'Nest' or 'Hive' Heating controls? - Kingy - 09-11-2014, 07:31 AM