Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone using 'Nest', 'Hive' or 'Tado' smart heating thermostats?
Just wondering if anyone is using one of these very clever wifi thermostat systems that will be all the rage next year?
I'm quite interested in one because the ability to switch the heating on using my phone is very appealing for when Yaz is away and I'm working late or training, plus infinite programming ability is far superior to our combi boilers standard timer (Worcester Bosch).

This is the one I'm most interested in: https://store.nest.com/uk/product/thermo...ype=boiler

'Nest'. Google got involved in it after it proved very successful in USA. Now its over here (has been for a year or so and is second gen) and it's coming on well.

British Gas have their own version (Hive), but I'm not as interested in that as it's a simpler system and not as 'smart'. Would appreciate feedback on that too if anyone is using it though.

https://www.hivehome.com/hive-active-heating

Thanks muchly for any feedback. Big Grin
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
I've been looking for something like this for quite a while, could do with installing it myself though.

£179 from john lewis ?
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember
I did look into the installation instructions and I'd be fine bar wiring it into the boiler we have. It has one unit linked to the boiler which 'takes over' control via your thermostat and programmes (times) you set up. I started reading the instructions and slowly got lost in the descriptions and warnings and just thought feck it I'll just pay the installation if I get one!

Coincidentally W.Bosch serviced our combi yesterday and I asked the chap about them. He said they do work very well. WB are introducing one this month (Wave), but its only compatible with their newest range of units. The boiler chap said there were no issues with compatibility (of Nest or Hive) and it wouldn't affect the warranty as it was essentially just a smart timer/controller.
He did say I should get a new (condenser) boiler as that would save me 20% on gas a year.
I said - Yes, but its a big investment (+/- £2k installed) considering this boiler is spot on.
I asked him to consider the 'Nest' as a comparison. £250 investment claiming a £150+ saving a year which is about 12% saving a year. So, spend £2k and save 20% or spend £250 and save 12%. The figures are by no means very accurate, but its a no brainer.

Reckon I'll get the 'Nest' one sorted. Will look around at prices properly first though and see if any offers or deals are likely. We are not really using heating at present with it still being warm so I just want it installed for October as I reckon temps will be steadily dropping then and it will start to 'learn' our use and save us money straight away.
Plus I just want to switch the heating on and off with my phone! Tongue
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Setting your heating by 'phone'? Feck me it takes me all my time just to make a bloody call on my new one............Big Grin
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Ha ha. Its the future Rog. That and garlic bread.... Smile
especially the garlic bread!
New development. Favouring 'Tado' now after speaking to someone using it.

You set it up then register your mobile phones with it. The system then alters the heating if all the mobile phones leave the house as it assumes everyone is out. When it registers a phone returning at a pre-set distance it brings the heating back on. I like the idea of this as my work pattern (with evening bike rides) means I'm never in at the same time and Yaz always comes in to a cold house if she arrives back from abroad during the day. This system would stop that happening. Smile

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tado-smart...tat-review
Assuming that you keep your GPS on all the time.

Reading that report suggests there are quite a few new products coming to market soon.

Think I'll wait a bit, before making a choice.
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember
I do leave the GPS on. Need it when I get lost on the fells! Wink
Its a fast developing market, but I'd like to take advantage for this winter. Plus, I believe Tado have a money back guarantee if you don't save the cost of the unit in your first year.
For anyone interested I found a 10% off code for Tado ...... winter2014