Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone using 'Nest', 'Hive' or 'Tado' smart heating thermostats?
(11-06-2014, 05:30 PM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: What exactly does the Tado help you do ?

Waste an evening and get really really mad! Wink

Once its all synced in.... - Which I assume is an issue there end and easily fixed as they said it can be sorted their end over the phone when I have chance to speak to them - ....

You set the temperature you want the house at whilst you are in during the day and whilst you are asleep at night.
You register your phones with the unit (it then knows your location).
You then switch the boiler onto constant and let 'Tado' maintain your heating for you.

You can set your wake and sleep times to whatever you want for each day. You can tell leave it on 'auto' mode or fine tune it with the temps.

It will then have the heating at the temps you want at the time you want. If people leave the house (the phones go) Tado switches the heating off. It then sees people returning and switches it back on for you.

At any point you can take control of the heating, turn it on/off, alter temps etc via the smartphone app or via computer.
If someone is in the house and can't be arsed getting their phone or laptop then the smart thermostat allows you to alter the heating (up/down) too.

In essence, Tado lets you programme your heating the the n'th degree, but once thats done you never need to touch it again. The system learns your journeys so it learns where you work and how long it takes to get home if you go to the same place every day.

Allegedley if you don't knock the cost of your Tado unit off your first years bill they will refund your payment. So I'm expecting to save at least £260 in 12 months.
In truth I'm not really arsed about that. The house being warm just in time for me getting home as Tado knows Im on my way back from a bike ride in winter is the feature I'm interested in - particularly when Yaz is away so heating has been off all day.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
It's sorted. Smile

Was there side. Got a support email saying they had registered the products properly and to try syncing again ... et voila. Job done. All phones registered and its good to go.

Lets see how it works now.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
this bit will be interesting
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember
Feck me, sounds a bit (big brother is watching you) to me hahaha, if it knows your out and when your on your way home then it could sent the burglars round Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
It works, but needs fine tuning to suit us.

I'd set it to 21 degree daytime temp (it them maintains that) and that we would be up at 7am this morning. There is also a secondary setting - Cost saving ... Comfort. By default the setting is between the two. In this position it has the house temp at 21 degrees for 7am, so brings the heating on earlier. It started warming the house up at 4am slowly, which is far too early so I've altered the temps (lower) and the setting to cost saving so it doesnt come on as early.

Now we are all up and about if we don't want the heating on we just switch it off and then back on later. No need to mess with temps or settings. Although now the heating is off anyway, as it's reached its target and its warm anyway so it won't come back on again until it senses a drop below its setting.

I think it will be a learning curve (especially with the temps) over the first week or two, but I can already see it will/should do exactly what I hoped now its up and running.
So far so good.

(11-07-2014, 08:00 AM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Feck me, sounds a bit (big brother is watching you) to me hahaha, if it knows your out and when your on your way home then it could sent the burglars round Smile

Lol. Big Grin Google know my every move anyway so a few more Germans in the know won't make much difference! Wink

Bear in mind you don't have to register any phones. You can set heating times AND times people will be in and out of the house manually if you don't want to share your location (via phone) or don't have phones. I do want that feature though so am ok with it. A big part of the attraction for me is the heating will be off all day, then it registers me on my way home and switches it on. I'm looking forward to that when I get home in winter on the bike freezing!
My heating is also off during the day with this not too well known little modification

[Image: on-off-marketing.jpg]

Big Grin
Whats that? Do you have to go and actually switch it? Is it a manual thing? Why is it not automated via wifi. Bloody neanderthal! Wink Smile
Yes it's a manual thing and works everytime Smile
(11-07-2014, 10:07 AM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Yes it's a manual thing and works everytime Smile

So does switching the tv on/off and turning over, but I bet you use the remote. Tongue
Its like garlic bread mate ... the future! Wink Big Grin Lol.
(11-07-2014, 10:39 AM)Kingy Wrote:
(11-07-2014, 10:07 AM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Yes it's a manual thing and works everytime Smile

So does switching the tv on/off and turning over, but I bet you use the remote. Tongue
Its like garlic bread mate ... the future! Wink Big Grin Lol.
What and CHEESE CAKE ?? Smile

It will never catch on mate lol