Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've had a bit of an accident.
I do a 'longer' ride home in the evening to get a few miles in on the road bike (cycle). Normally on a Wednesday I'm out with my mate Dave and we do +/- 30 miles. As United were playing I told him I needed to leave earlier and do a shorted route.

As is always the case a customer phoned late (5.40pm) and I needed to re-jig production schedules as a result so ended up leaving half an hour later than intended.

I set off on my route. Headwind all the way which was horrible, but I knew I'd get a tailwind the last 6 miles (of just over 18) so that would be good.

After a couple of miles I thought I had a slow puncture. When I got chance I checked the front wheel, but pressure ok and it was fixed tightly inplace. I carried on.

Was 12 miles in and just about to start enjoying the ride with some wind asssitance. Accelerated away from traffic lights (so pushing hard on pedals and pulling hard on the bars) and got upto about 25mph with cars behind me when I felt the front go 'vague'. I stopped pedalling and my speed dropped to about 20mph when this happened:

I assumed I'd got a puncture so tried to brake.
No Brakes.
Tried to steer.
No steering.

This all happened within seconds ...

[Image: IMG_20150304_192540_zps4ifycbz8.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150304_192527_zps9mtrovtf.jpg]

The stem failed at the weld and I ripped the fecking bars clean off! Tongue

The front wheel tucked on me and I then hit down hard to my right (fortunately). No traffic coming the other way (as I was late - fortunately!) as my head smacked the tarmac and I then did a rag doll impression bouncing down the road. I could see car lights behind me in the corner of my eye and I was desperately trying to slide to my right into clear road.

I eventually came to a stop, grabbed the bike and got on the pavement.

Managed to avoid hitting anything or getting run over. Cool

I've got a comedy limp where the bike gave me a right stab and cuts and bruises all over. Very very lucky though as had it happened almost anywhere else on that route I'd have hit a car or been travelling a lot faster so ended up hitting road furniture or stationary vehicles.

It must have looked bloody funny to anyone watching! Big Grin
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Feckwit!

Did anyone stop to offer assistance or did they just point and laugh? Glad to hear your ok mind, but at least you and JJ can have good catch ups about your limps!
Ha ha.

Yes, the lady who nearly ran over me in a Fiat 500 did stop and shout over asking if I was OK. At that point I didn't know as I was counting arms, legs and trying to assess if I was bleeding. I looked up and she had gone. Everyone else just pointed and laughed. Smile

Oh, and I wouldn't dare mention this little scuffle in the same breath as JJ's very serious motorbike accident. Wink
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Glad your ok Paul, thats a pretty uncommon place for a weld to fail as there's no real flexing on the headset. And by the looks of your pic its a clean fail right round the weld, thats got to be a manufacturing issue thats just been waiting to go for some time.
Cheers Martin - and yes completely agree. Total failure at the weld, so I'm thanking God, Bike Fairies, Welding Pixies and anyone/thing I can think of that it happened when it did. To walk (well, limp) away from that is a result in my book.

My son Samee (11 yrs) saw the bike, saw my injuries (just cuts and bruises visible so nothing much to see), looked at the bike again and said ...

Samee: "So, you pulled the handlebars off?"
Me: "Yes".
Samee: "Wow, you are like Mr Incredible"!

Bless him. Smile
He's not wrong mate, incredibly lucky. Kids certainly know how to cheer you up when you've had a bad day. Smile
Well where do I start on this to rip the piss ? seeing as though you have now been in a terrible cycling accident and have a simular walk to me now !!!!
Well I'm not going too Wink I'm just glad to hear your ok matey.

Like you say, it could have ben much worse !!!!! (it could have been me) Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
JJ - Your sympathy is overwhelming.

Sorry.

I meant underwhelming. Wink
Someones going to be very sore for the next few days too.

Get well soon matey Wink
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
(03-05-2015, 05:19 PM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Someones going to be very sore for the next few days too.

Get well soon matey Wink

Yes - and cheers.

I've had a bollocking from Yaz over the phone. We agreed I'd drive in this morning, but I decided to try and fight off everything stiffening up as the bruising takes hold by riding my Cannondale into work. She is not happy. I'm also realising the ride home is going to be a lot tougher than the ride in as everywhere is aching like a bastid now! Big Grin Still, Thursday is pub night so I will make sure I get plenty of medicine later .... Cool