Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discovering 17 Hidden (Secret) Bars in Manchester.
It's a tough job, but sometimes you just have to stand up and be counted! Tongue

I found this site last week: http://www.ilovemanchester.com/2014/06/2...ester.aspx

It gives info on 17 bars in Manchester which are hard to find. I know of a couple from years ago, but many are new - Especially in the redeveloped Northern Quarter.

The kids were both away this weekend (Yessssssss!) so Yaz and I decided we would have a wander down to Manchester mid afternoon. Yaz needed a new battery in her watch and couldn't be bothered sending it off and waiting six weeks so we went to get that sorted and have a mooch around some bars.

Decided to head for the Northern Quarter and then back towards Deansgate for a curry at Akbars.

Dropped Yasmins watch off after haggling the price down from £50 to £40 for a battery, seals and pressure test. We had a couple of hours free.
We set off down Tibbs Street and initially had a few hiccups. Dusk 'till Pawn was closed (shame as it looks great), The Fitzgerald was hired out for a wedding for the day and Kraak Gallery was also closed. We assume both the bars closed opened in the evening.
Yaz was getting fiesty as she wanted to sit down with a coffee, but I was determined to find at least one bar. Did manage to and it was a belter. Got to Montpelliers. Will be going back there too. No way would I have found it, as its on a back street that you just wouldn't walk past. Part of what I like about quirky places like these is they have quirky beers. I had a pint of Moretti which is a nice lager, then a pint of Affligem Blonde. At £5.80 a go fortunately it was a cracking beer. One to enjoy and taste, rather than rush. I'll be getting hold of some for home I was that impressed. Made the Moretti taste very dull and watery by comparison.

From there we went on to Cane and Grain. Yaz loved this bar. Really visually quirky. Pint of Samuel Adams Boston Lager here. Only ever had this in Belfast when out on a trip around the real Irish pubs with my cousin, so it brought back some nice memories.

[Image: IMG_20150314_162321_zps6f4ul3at.jpg]

It also has a secret bar in the first floor. Sadly, we didn't get chance to see it as we realised we had to rush back to collect Yasmins watch. This is the cheeky place though.

Just a wall ....

[Image: IMG_20150314_163724_zpswgpqbtdb.jpg]

Or is it?

[Image: IMG_20150314_163900_zps4affbhwu.jpg]

Passed a pretty cool bit of street art on the walk back for the watch ...

[Image: IMG_20150314_164658_zps2r0slziv.jpg]

We then wandered over towards Akbars. We were calling in Brewdog on the way (I do love that place). We also walked past an old favourite - Discoteque Royales. Spent many nights in there years ago. It was a huge, briliant place in it's heyday. Now, despite being an amazing building its sitting going to ruin. Hope it gets saved properly ...

[Image: IMG_20150314_170751_zpsrtmoiias.jpg]

Final port of call to tick a third hidden bar off was Cask on Liverpool Road. This is one I knew. Had a pint, but its a sweaty hippy type place rather than quirky. Won't be bothering with it again. Some nice choices on the beer, but not nice enough to put up with it smelling like a sweaty toilet! Wink

[Image: IMG_20150314_191714_zps931zsb5m.jpg]

Had a fantastic curry at Akbars. Wandered into Jamie Olivers place on King Street on the way back. Not on the list, but an impressive place to visit as the buildings on King Street are amazing inside.

Yaz has said that next time we go down we will do four bars. I've earmarked The Temple, Epernay, Brewdog, The Gas Lamp and Corbierres.
I think we are going to enjoy this challenge! Cool
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Sounds like you had a cracking afternoon drinking session in what looks like some quirky places.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
We did mate. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Yaz quite got into it when she realised the bars (apart from Cask) were all really nice bars. Quirky and trendy. Given she doesn't drink (alcohol) the bars themselves need to appeal to keep her interested. These really did.

Showing our age, we tend to enjoy getting out mid afternoon and then home before midnight. Actually get more time in the bars, but its a better time to enjoy them and to be able to eat wherever we fancy rather than battling in queues. All very convivial. Big Grin

... I'll save the out at 7pm and in at 3am for when I'm with the lads. Wink
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
(03-16-2015, 11:01 AM)Kingy Wrote: I had a pint of Moretti which is a nice lager, then a pint of Affligem Blonde. At £5.80 a go fortunately it was a cracking beer. One to enjoy and taste, rather than rush. I'll be getting hold of some for home I was that impressed. Made the Moretti taste very dull and watery by comparison.

Got home tonight after my bike ride and Yaz had made a curry (niiiice) and had called in Sainsburies in Denton (the only place I found who stocked this) and got me a few cases of .....

[Image: IMG_20150317_200735_zpslvsleup5.jpg]

Sweet. Cool
Seems like a very fulfilling challenge.
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember