Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car insurance gits
Got renewal documents through today for my 'automatic renewal' (that I didn't ask for but probably didn't opt out of either) at £100 more than last year.

Done a quick comparison on the meerkat and found a price that's £250 cheaper than my renewal. Went to my insurance company to get a new quote and got a new customer quote £150 cheaper than my renewal quote.

Time to make some phone calls!
Sadly you are not valued as a repeat customer for insurance (car and home), utilities, mobile phones ... the list goes on. I really don't understand their attitude to repeat business. As a small business it is our lifeblood, yet these large companies prefere customer 'churn' and new customers.
I've just renewed my gas/electric. The offer from my current supplier (who was a country mile better than anyone else last time) was laughable.
It's a pain, but now necessary to phone around every renewal. The only company I've found who seem to be competative each year is Aviva with our multi car policy.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
I might take a look at Aviva, as my girlfriends insurance is also up for renewal (albeit 14 days earlier than mine at the 1st of April) if they do good multi-car.

I wish customer loyalty was still a thing, it seems to only exist in the small businesses where you can build a rapport with the staff like the local chippy who always knows my order or the butcher who throws in the extra cut because you keep going back to him. I think the closest I got to big business was the mortgage with the Halifax whom I've been with for 12 years now and they offered a slightly discounted rate on the interest, but I suspect they offer it to any customer whether they've done 12 years or 12 days.

I think a lot of them play on the lazy factor as well - it's a hassle to phone around each year so many people probably go "feck it, it's cheap enough" without bothering to phone around and pay the extra premiums as a result.
See if you have any Aviva policies (either of you). They take that into account and may offer a discount.

I've found their multicar is cheaper than any others (for our ages/cars). Each year I phone around and Avivas quote is either better or not worth changing from. You have to do it online though when you take it out or renew, otherwise they charge you an admin fee. Daft but true. It saves about £15 to £20 online - even if they give you the quote over the phone and ask you if you want to take it - Ask them specifically if it is cheaper if they email you the details then you complete online. Unless they waive the fee its more expensive.

Oh, and name each other as drivers on the cars. That brings it down a bit too.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
admiral multi car might be worth a look too
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember