Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the best refund you've had?
I've finally got round to updating my insurance for the car and bike given that I moved house and stuff. Got refunds from both (must be a better area I've moved to?) but very different amounts. From the car getting a nice £35 back. But from the bike, is an eye-watering, teeth popping......

88p.

Yes, that is 88p, not £88. I'm going to wait up all night until it comes back cos that 88p is definitely needed!

What about the rest of you? Can anyone beat 88p?
I got a refund for PPI once but it was only £7000 Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
Just got a DVLA road tax refund through for the Mazda we sold a couple of weeks ago ... £8.72.
I can't decide whether to invest it or just go out and blow the lot in one go! Wink

Can't remember any other significant refunds.
One that springs to mind was BMW "refunding" me £250 for 'exploratory work' on the X3 we had. The DPF light came on. It shouldn't have as the car regularly went to Heathrow (400 miles round trip). They said it could be carbon build up in engine which was a £3,000 bill not covered by warranty. Ended up doing an emissions test at no cost to me and resetting the light/computer - so made a big thing about saving me £250.
The moral of the story - Do not buy a BMW diesel. I never will again. DPF light came on again a few months later. Car was sold straight away with full disclosure to the chap who bought it. Never again!

We run two petrol cars now! Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
I had £2500 from PPI as well was a right bonus !! Bit of hassle going through the paperwork but more than worth it !! My advice would be seek to get the money back from who you took the loan out with as opposed to these companys that do it for you, as they obviously take there cut too
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
I'm jealous of these PPI refund figures! Bet they were a nice little lump sum bonus when they came through. Did either of you get to spend any part of them on anything exciting? Knowing my luck anything like that would have ended up as new windows or a bloody kitchen! Wink

When I did take loans in the past I always declined PPI. Same with credit cards. Never took it - so won't be due any refunds. Yaz did try (so she tells me) with loans she had before we met but was told nothing doing.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Once had a nice one from the tax man.........totally unexpected and around £1000 so not a lot but 'anything' from them and it's a note in the diary day.
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
(02-12-2015, 01:10 PM)RogerC Wrote: Once had a nice one from the tax man.........totally unexpected and around £1000 so not a lot but 'anything' from them and it's a note in the diary day.

Oh yes, I forgot about that. I got a refund of £1150 from HMRC a few years ago. Accountant told me it was their mistake so not due and to either bank it and keep the funds available (as at some point they would ask for it back) or just tear it up. Sad
(02-12-2015, 01:38 PM)Kingy Wrote:
(02-12-2015, 01:10 PM)RogerC Wrote: Once had a nice one from the tax man.........totally unexpected and around £1000 so not a lot but 'anything' from them and it's a note in the diary day.

Oh yes, I forgot about that. I got a refund of £1150 from HMRC a few years ago. Accountant told me it was their mistake so not due and to either bank it and keep the funds available (as at some point they would ask for it back) or just tear it up. Sad

Did they ask for it back?
(02-12-2015, 04:18 PM)FraserG Wrote: Did they ask for it back?

No. I didn't bank it as my accountant explained in great, boring detail that HMRC had gone off 'old figures' presented before I went 'Limited' and altered quite a few things. I decided to just leave it rather than need to enter into any dialogue with them. (Thats like pulling teeth very very slowly and painfully).

I mentioned it to my parents many months later and they said they got one a few years back - banked it and spent it - then were told by their accountant they would need to repay it. Years later they still haven't heard anything. Rolleyes Gits! Big Grin
(02-12-2015, 04:58 PM)Kingy Wrote: No. I didn't bank it as my accountant explained in great, boring detail that HMRC had gone off 'old figures' presented before I went 'Limited' and altered quite a few things. I decided to just leave it rather than need to enter into any dialogue with them. (Thats like pulling teeth very very slowly and painfully).

I mentioned it to my parents many months later and they said they got one a few years back - banked it and spent it - then were told by their accountant they would need to repay it. Years later they still haven't heard anything. Rolleyes Gits! Big Grin

It's a shame HMRC can wield such power TBH, if a shop gave you too much refund on something I can't see that they could force you to repay it (not the same way HMRC probably can anyway). Probably safer not banking it cos it'd be sods law you'd have bought something decent and they'd have demanded it back within an hour!