Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone able to help?
Hi guys,

So on Friday, coming home from work, the bike cut out on me pulling away from some lights in first. When I tried to restart, it just wouldn't.

It took about half an hour to get it started but every few meters it would cut out again.

Eventually I found I could bump start it (easier than kicking it) when this happened providing I was still moving and I limped the bike home that way.

During this, the rev meter was doing funny things (identical to the video below to save me trying to describe it).

I've currently got the bike in the garage with the heater pointed at it and the casing off (let the heat in better) to try and dry it out in case that's the issue.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Just in case it helps, the bike is a yamaha YBR 125 09 plate (so no Carb).

Thanks in advance!

Video to someone else's rev issue, but this is identical to the one I was having during the ride home Friday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThNWpwGrN2w

I have checked the spark plug and it seems ok.
The plug may seem ok, but could break down under load or temperature.

It's definitely worth replacing to rule it out.

Otherwise was it wet, it may that something is grounding the ignition, lashings of WD40 over the HT lead will sort it temporarily, again worth a try.

Other things to check would be the run/stop switch, and the sidestand switch, (get that WD40 out again)

Good luck matey.
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember
Cheers Yogi, will try those things. I'll get a new plug tomorrow and replace.

We have had a lot of heavy rain last week, though the bike is covered when I get home it's left out in the carpark at work which is why I thought maybe it was just water damage.
Yes like all those things Yogi has said.

It could be the ingress off water that is causing all your problems.

Get it all dried out and give it that WD40 and see how it goes.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
Here you go mate. Problem solved ....

[Image: gas-can-and-matches_zps25919f7c.jpg]
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
(01-19-2015, 07:59 AM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Yes like all those things Yogi has said.

It could be the ingress off water that is causing all your problems.

Get it all dried out and give it that WD40 and see how it goes.

Cheers JJ. Have got the heater on again pointing at the bike (I'm at home today waiting for a delivery of some kitchen stuff again thankfully). Have bought two more WD40s so I can use a proper amount.

(01-19-2015, 10:41 AM)Kingy Wrote: Here you go mate. Problem solved ....

[Image: gas-can-and-matches_zps25919f7c.jpg]

If it gets the job done quicker.... Tongue
Will certainly dry everything out a lot faster than WD40! Wink Lol.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Ok so having spent most of the day with the heater on, I also took the seat unit and fuel tank off (it's really difficult when it's your first time) to look into the wirings underneath and trying to find an earth to the frame that might be messing up.

Unable to find that, I did find the earth wire from the ECU to the battery and it looked a little corroded at the join, so I've cut that out and replaced it with a new join.

Meanwhile, on the battery side, using the multi meter I can get the following readings:

No ignition - 12v across the battery
Ignition and nothing else - 9v across the battery
Engine on - 13v across the battery

Now the "interesting" bit. If I have the ignition on, engine light goes out and I hit the electric start or the horn, the battery dies (goes down as low as 1v across the battery). However, leave it a few seconds (approx. 10-20) and it slowly 'recharges' back to 9v across the battery.

I'm no electrician, but I'm thinking this is an indication of something shorting out when the circuit is completed with either horn or push start?

Anyone got any expertise or experience to share on that one?+

Also, for additional head scratching, the original issue with the revving seems to have gone UNLESS I hit the electric start either prior to, or after firing up (I know, you shouldn't need to after it's fired up however, it seems to me that the problem itself still exists and it's better to get rid of it completely than allow it to 'only happen on xyz condition'). Then it will go back to faffing with the revs again.
With the greatest of respect I refer you back to post #5.

Smile
Hi FG..not being a particularly talented bike elektrikerynishun the source of your problems 'might' be the voltage regulator. I've had similar elektrikery problems on a couple of smaller bikes some years back......cutting out, dimmed lights, bitch to start etc. I can only suggest faults though not how to fix them..........elektrikery is the work of the devil..... :-) Good luck
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.