Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Nexus 6 phone due out. What do you think of it ...
Amongst other bits of tech I like to play about with - I like my phones.

I've had the Nexus 3, Nexus 4 and currently have the Nexus 5. I've changed each year and passed my 'old' phone down to one of the kids. My Nexus 5 is nearly a year old, so would normally be looking at ordering the Nexus 6.
Because the prices are good, the Nexus makes a great sim free phone to add a sim to which gives you a better deal than on contract.

I like the Nexus as they are cheap (towards similar specced phones), get Google o/s updates straight away and are normally well built and the current 'size' you would expect.

Unfortunately Google have done what they warned back in June '14 when they said they intended to lift the price and drop the 'Nexus' ethos.

The Nexus 5 32 gig was £339.

The Nexus 6 32 gig is anticipated to be £460 minimum but may be more (some are suggesting upto £550).

Its also going to be a 'phablet' - bigger than the Iphone 6+. Its massive and far too big for a 'daily use' phone.
Price wise, its up in the realms of not being a clever sim free option and may well work out cheaper on a contract which for me defeats the point.

This is the N5 next to the N6. I think the N5 is plenty big enough and don't want anything larger. I really hope this is not the way phones are going.

[Image: nexus-6-vs-nexus-5-front-710x436.jpg]

So, I'll be keeping my Nexus 5. Its a cracking phone and I'll be looking around at alternatives to change to. I'll probably stick with android as I prefer o/s to Apples, although I may look at the Iphone 6 (the smaller on) just to see what it's like.

I'm really disappointed with Google as I think they have sucked people in with the Nexus range and are now selling out and trying to 'do an Apple'. We will soon find out if they have the fanboys to make this work.

This is the article : http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-6-...-5-538524/
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
'Phablets' seem to be on the increase in the market place...........I ended up getting the Sony Xperia Z Ultra which is a monster of a phone but suits me fine as it is so much bigger and as such the reading/viewing/texting/phone keys images are much bigger. An essential for those of us that don't have robot like thumbs and wear glasses.
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Jehebus Rog, thats bigger than the Nexus 6! It is thinner though.

Sony Towerblock: 172x92x6.6
Nexus Double Deker: 159.3x83x10.1

My current Nexus 5 is: 137.9x69.2x8.6 which for me is about as large as I want to go with a phone. Anything bigger and I'll struggle to get it in my arse pocket when I'm out or my pack when fell running or riding.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Kingy that's the only real drawback with the Ultra. Too big to realistically carry about but if in the car etc it's fine. If carried around in a pocket big enough to fit it in it does make sense to use a bluetooth ear thingy but I don't 'cause I reckon they look naff.
Supplier of quality decals & logos in cut/full colour vinyl, personalised tea/coffee mugs, banners, digi photos on art canvas etc for the trackdayer/racer.
Well, I didn't bother with the Nexus 6.
32 gig ended up at £499 and 64 gig (not yet out) will be £549.

Thats Iphone territory.
And with iPhone comes a better quality/finished handset which will be better built and will retain its value. iOs is getting updates to bring it up to scratch (its not presently as good as android lollipop) and the main Google apps will carry over.

I'll keep the Nexus 5 until new year and then have a rethink. It's got my attention again with the Lollipop os update which is quite good.
Next phone will be an iphone 6. Not the 6+ as thats too big.
Also what comes with iPhones are the sh*t construction and tendency to slow down after a new iPhone is released. iOS is getting updates because it's not good enough to begin with (cough vista cough). You already look a prat in the hairdressers car, don't go adding the iPhone to the look Tongue

The Nexus is good, but it's a tablet/phablet device, not a phone. The Sony Xperia's (non phablets) are good little numbers for what you probably need them to do.

The problem we have at the moment in the phone/tablet industry is that there is more computing power in your pocket than Alan Turing had during the war and more than Armstrong had to go to the Moon and back. Unfortunately, humans are not designed to receive this amount of power on such tiny screens so the screens have to get bigger to accommodate.

Get a Nokia 3310 and play Snake, like the good old days!

Talking of Nokia's though, don't get one on Windows OS. Not unless you wanna throw your money away.
(11-25-2014, 02:54 PM)FraserG Wrote: Also what comes with iPhones are the sh*t construction and tendency to slow down after a new iPhone is released. iOS is getting updates because it's not good enough to begin with (cough vista cough).

Completely agree, but I'm being priced back into an iphone by greedy google.
I can put up with iOs being a bit pants as it will still do what I want/need. Where it doesnt (Eg itunes) I'll use alternatives Eg. Google Music.

I'm not sure about iphones slowing down that much in practical use though. Over years - yes, but thats the same with any phone as apps get bigger.

I have an ipad 2. Bought a nexus 7 two years ago (so newer than the ipad). The Nexus slowed down noticably, the ipad 2 hasnt. Not scientific I know, but a side by side comparison.
More recently the Nexus has DIED (its a brick as of last week) and a quick look shows the only fix is return to asus for out of warranty repair which costs more than the '12 Nexus 7 stock is currently being sold at. Huh

So, from my very susprising experience the ipad is better than the Nexus tablet. It is also quality feel/touch compared to the cheaper Nexus. I loved using the Nexus 7 when it was new and quick, but it's been a fair lesson for me.
.... Apple here I come! Tongue (Unless something Nexus 5/ Iphone 6 size comes out in first quarter or soon after 2015).

(11-25-2014, 02:54 PM)FraserG Wrote: You already look a prat in the hairdressers car, don't go adding the iPhone to the look Tongue

You do realise this is Kingy posting - Not Jollyjoiner. Wink
What's gone wrong with the Nexus, do you know?

I got mine at Uni in March 2013 and it's still going strong, though I don't use it as often these days (too many computers around me with the phone, one at work and one at home...). I've not noticed any performance issues though.

Unfortunately the google price has been driven by the apple pricing, they've seen they can get away with it because apple do and google, like any tech company have their fans that will pay any price for the item. Which is a shame, but is why I like Sony. For now at least they are sticking to quality and cheap (relative) cost with the android system rather than trying to make as much profit on every phone.
When I googled (oohhh the irony) the issue with the Nexus 7 there are loads of hits with people having exactly the same issue. It seems to affect the 2012 Nexus 7 and is something on the board. Google know about it, but will only take back tablets under warranty. Those not under warranty are directed to Asus for out of warranty repair. Where goodwill is given (Eg 13 month old tablet) the customer is told Google will look into the repair and advise. If a new tablet is required customer is to buy one and await confirmation of a refund assuming the fault is confirmed. Bit shoddy to be honest and alongside the new pricing policy is putting me right off the Nexus brand.
The whole point of Nexus range was good back up, cheap ish product (so you accepted it didn't feel premium compared to other tablets/handsets) but good spec when released. The ethos (to me) was value for money. I'm not seeing that now. I'm seeing cheap feeling/looking products that fail and don't get the back up. If you want a more premium feel then you pay Apple prices for the newer Google products. Real shame. Mind you, as you say, there will be enough Google fanboys for them to peddle their Nexi to. Smile

... I do like Lollipop though. Its a nice fresh look and has some convenient (user) improvements. Handy really as it will keep me happy with the Nexus 5 for a good few months yet. If I can I'll wait until second quarter 2015 so I can see what new phones will be released next year.