Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green lane advise please
Right am off green laning in wales in Nov on the CRF for the first time

What advise could you give me ?

I’ve got the boots Jacket etc helmet goggle etc

What sort of tools ?

How do you deal with punctures ? is there a special outfit?

Any help would be great

Jonny the muddy virgin AngelHuh
TO many crash test monkeys to list
Hi Johnny I'm pretty new to it myself, I've bought a michelin 4mm thick inner tube after reading a few other forums an so far have had no issues with punctures. If however you are unlucky enough to get a puncture- Motul P3 Tyre Repair Puncture Tire Foam Re-inflate Without Tools Seal.

Or if your feeling really brave tyre irons and motorbike repair patches.

Tool wise I carry cable ties allen keys a socket to fit the back spindle nut in case the chain gets loose mid ride, i've had it jump and take a lump off my engine casing, that was down to a shitty chain but the same can happen with a loose chain. If you do water crossings its recommended you take a spanner to fit the drain plug on your carb if your unlucky enough to drop it and water gets in the air box and fuel system.

Its really about trial and error if you go on the trf forum you'll take everything except the kitchen sink. The best thing to do is go out with a few lads who do it regularly and dont forget your phone.

If your looking for a spare helmet i've just bought a bell one from amazon for £41.40 instead of £195.

Hope that helps.
(10-22-2014, 08:12 PM)croweman Wrote: Hi Johnny I'm pretty new to it myself, I've bought a michelin 4mm thick inner tube after reading a few other forums an so far have had no issues with punctures. If however you are unlucky enough to get a puncture- Motul P3 Tyre Repair Puncture Tire Foam Re-inflate Without Tools Seal.

Or if your feeling really brave tyre irons and motorbike repair patches.

Tool wise I carry cable ties allen keys a socket to fit the back spindle nut in case the chain gets loose mid ride, i've had it jump and take a lump off my engine casing, that was down to a shitty chain but the same can happen with a loose chain. If you do water crossings its recommended you take a spanner to fit the drain plug on your carb if your unlucky enough to drop it and water gets in the air box and fuel system.

Its really about trial and error if you go on the trf forum you'll take everything except the kitchen sink. The best thing to do is go out with a few lads who do it regularly and dont forget your phone.

If your looking for a spare helmet i've just bought a bell one from amazon for £41.40 instead of £195.

Hope that helps.

Thats great every little helps

Just dont want to turn up with the sink and all lol
Good place for tyres too http://www.oponeo.co.uk I use mitas c02 on my rear it was £48 delivered free I couldn't find a better price anywhere.
My 2p.

(10-22-2014, 07:52 PM)Jonny Wrote: What advice.
Get out on the bike as much as you can beforehand to get a feel for riding it. DO NOT ride it like a conventional bike. Sit middle/toward the front of the seat (balls almost on the tank so you you are in the middle of the bike) so you can easily transfer weight over the front wheel. You need that to dig in especially cornering and braking. Only drop back on the seat when you need the back wheel to dig in and the front to stay light (Eg. Crossing a deep muddy field).
If you get really muddied up (wheels) try to get speed up so it clears the treads out and gives you grip back.
When cornering either keep your feet on the pegs, or put your inside leg out. Extend it toward the centre of front wheel, then back on the peg as you straighten up. Helps with balance and getting weight forward for control.
If you get obstacles (small logs, rocks etc) you need to get over bump the front suspension down just before you hit them and pull the bars up as you add power to go over them. Makes the front light and the power will take you over.

I’ve got the boots Jacket etc helmet goggle etc
Weather in mind - Take spare kit if its more than one days riding as you won't dry kit out and inner layers and pants will either be full of crap or minging after a days riding.
If its just one day take spare gloves if you can. They are always handy especially if its cold and raining (you can swap in the afternoon when you are tiring and wet clothes are starting to bother you.
Have something to hand to clean your goggles.
Stick an energy bar or two in your pack and carry a camelback with water in it. (Good for your tools too).
If you buy one of the small toolkits you can strap to the bike make sure its bomb proof. Don't think I've seen anyone not lose one of those as they just get shaken off the bike and no one notices until its too late.

What sort of tools ?
Basics to be able to unbolt things that can break or snap on the bike. So, either mini ratchets or a few spanners plus set of allen keys. Few sizes of zip ties are essential (like gaffa tape with track/race bikes!). Make sure you have anything pertinent to your bike that someone else may not carry Eg. Spark plug socket. Also get hold of a replacement brake/clutch lever. Shame to end a ride just because one of those snaps on you when they are only a few quid (pattern).

How do you deal with punctures ? is there a special outfit?
Either fit moose instead of innertubes (I did) - Then you don't puncture at all - Or, carry the tools to take the wheel and tyre off to repair or replace the tube. May be worth asking lads going if they are kitted out for that. They probably will be and will help you. No point in buying tyre arms etc. unless you need to.
Oh, and a spare tube. Roll it up and tip tie it to the bike as they are big buggers.

Any help would be great.
Make sure you have breakdown recovery if its possible. If the bike goes pop in the hills its easier to get it to an accessible road and then get breakdown services to ferry it to the van or home than ruin everyones day having to drag/two it back to the vans. Doesn't happen often but we had it quite a few times over the years.

Jonny the muddy virgin AngelHuh
You will love it. Just don't underestimate how hard it is if you haven't done it before. Its a very different discipline to raod/track riding. If you are really fit your body will cope. If not you will find you ache all over if you come off a few times and need to keep picking the bike up! Big Grin
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Cheers Kingy
(10-23-2014, 08:53 PM)Jonny Wrote: Cheers Kingy

Pleasure mate. Hope none of it is teaching you how to suck eggs. Smile
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
If you get chance to tune in to http://www.bikerfm.uk on wednesday night they have an enduro show on 8 - 10 which is good, you can message in all sorts of questions like above.
Plus when the adverts play, one of our sponsors is a supplier of inserts for tyres that they reckon are brilliant. We got a set and sent them to a couple of doers, i think McCanny was one, they are to test them at major events. Problem is i forgot what they are called lol

Tubeless
http://www.tubliss.co.uk/