Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Films worth a watch.
I thought Deadpool was shit, turned it off after 30 minutes. I was then convinced to watch all of it as it was supposed to the best film ever made and it was still shit!

Won't be watching it again in a hurry that is for sure
(02-06-2017, 08:32 PM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Well I've started to watch some older films.

Started with Days of Thunder which I'd never seen in 1990 when it came out and is a cracking film.

Today I've watched Monty Pythons Holy Grail. Now I've watched this before but made me laugh just as much as the first time. So I've decided to watch the other two films, The Life of Brian and The meaning of life Smile

The Holy Grail is brilliant. Years ago we used to go to the British Grands Prix at Silverstone. Me and Flamin Bill would drive down and stay with Bills brother John (aka Uncle Knobhead) in Daventry. We would always have a night out in Banbury and then come in worse for wear and watch The Holy Grail. Every year. Think it was 10 years on the bounce! It became part of the weekend.  Cool Big Grin
I like watching the old cheesy films now and again. Con Air being a good example. 

(02-06-2017, 08:53 PM)speedymadr6 Wrote: I thought Deadpool was shit, turned it off after 30 minutes. I was then convinced to watch all of it as it was supposed to the best film ever made and it was still shit!

You are clearly too mature for it and haven't had a misspent childhood buried in Marvel/ DC comics/ films.  Wink Tongue   

Watched it again with the boy at weekend (who is a Marvel/DC fanatic just starting to misspend his youth  Wink ). Have seen it at least half a dozen times now and still piss myself laughing from start to finish. It is (purposely) one massive piss take of all superhero genres from start to finish. Some fantastic lines in it and Ryan Reynolds is perfect casting as Mr Pool. Spotted a phrase I had missed so far at weekend .... "Dutch Oven". PMSL  Big Grin
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
(02-06-2017, 08:53 PM)speedymadr6 Wrote: I thought Deadpool was shit, turned it off after 30 minutes. I was then convinced to watch all of it as it was supposed to the best film ever made and it was still shit!

Shit......SHIT.......ya crazy fool.

Don't tell me your still in to the likes of The Sound of Music ?? lol
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
(02-07-2017, 07:42 AM)Kingy Wrote:
(02-06-2017, 08:32 PM)Jollyjoiner Wrote: Well I've started to watch some older films.

Started with Days of Thunder which I'd never seen in 1990 when it came out and is a cracking film.

Today I've watched Monty Pythons Holy Grail. Now I've watched this before but made me laugh just as much as the first time. So I've decided to watch the other two films, The Life of Brian and The meaning of life Smile

The Holy Grail is brilliant. Years ago we used to go to the British Grands Prix at Silverstone. Me and Flamin Bill would drive down and stay with Bills brother John (aka Uncle Knobhead) in Daventry. We would always have a night out in Banbury and then come in worse for wear and watch The Holy Grail. Every year. Think it was 10 years on the bounce! It became part of the weekend.  Cool Big Grin
I like watching the old cheesy films now and again. Con Air being a good example. 

Haha I can just imagine it, you all pissed up saying Ni Ni Ni lol

I'll look for Con Air, can't remember if I've seen it
(02-07-2017, 07:42 AM)Kingy Wrote:

You are clearly too mature for it and haven't had a misspent childhood buried in Marvel/ DC comics/ films.  Wink Tongue   

Watched it again with the boy at weekend (who is a Marvel/DC fanatic just starting to misspend his youth  Wink ). Have seen it at least half a dozen times now and still piss myself laughing from start to finish. It is (purposely) one massive piss take of all superhero genres from start to finish. Some fantastic lines in it and Ryan Reynolds is perfect casting as Mr Pool. Spotted a phrase I had missed so far at weekend .... "Dutch Oven". PMSL  Big Grin

(02-07-2017, 11:25 AM)Jollyjoiner Wrote:

Shit......SHIT.......ya crazy fool.

Don't tell me your still in to the likes of The Sound of Music ?? lol
Doctor Strange.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1211837/

Quote:Marvel's "Doctor Strange" follows the story of the talented neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a tragic car accident, must put ego aside and learn the secrets of a hidden world of mysticism and alternate dimensions. Based in New York City's Greenwich Village, Doctor Strange must act as an intermediary between the real world and what lies beyond, utilising a vast array of metaphysical abilities and artifacts to protect the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The kids - and Yaz really enjoyed this. 
I thought it was ok. 
For me the issue is - If you haven't read the Dr Strange comics (I hadn't) then the film needs to tell you all about the character. It did, which is great - but it's more like a prologue for the next film than a film in it's own right. It was done very well. Great acting, very good CGI. Nothing really wrong with it - just that I felt it's main purpose was as a lead in to the next movie. 

Well worth a watch though as there will be another movie and Dr Strange will be getting an outing in an Avenger Movie so if you watch the Marvel films (we do) you need to be watching this.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
(03-06-2017, 09:35 AM)Kingy Wrote: Doctor Strange.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1211837/

Quote:Marvel's "Doctor Strange" follows the story of the talented neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a tragic car accident, must put ego aside and learn the secrets of a hidden world of mysticism and alternate dimensions. Based in New York City's Greenwich Village, Doctor Strange must act as an intermediary between the real world and what lies beyond, utilising a vast array of metaphysical abilities and artifacts to protect the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The kids - and Yaz really enjoyed this. 
I thought it was ok. 
For me the issue is - If you haven't read the Dr Strange comics (I hadn't) then the film needs to tell you all about the character. It did, which is great - but it's more like a prologue for the next film than a film in it's own right. It was done very well. Great acting, very good CGI. Nothing really wrong with it - just that I felt it's main purpose was as a lead in to the next movie. 

Well worth a watch though as there will be another movie and Dr Strange will be getting an outing in an Avenger Movie so if you watch the Marvel films (we do) you need to be watching this.

I've thought about watching this one so might give it a go even though I too haven't read the Dr Strange comics
(03-06-2017, 08:53 PM)jollyjoiner Wrote: I've thought about watching this one so might give it a go even though I too haven't read the Dr Strange comics

It's def worth a watch. Oh, and wait until the credits have gone completely before you switch off. COMPLETELY. 

The boy also wants to watch Star Wars Rogue One and Assassin's Creed so will post up what those are like once we've watched them.
Trainspotting 2.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2763304/

Quote:First there was an opportunity......then there was a betrayal. Twenty years have gone by. Much has changed but just as much remains the same. Mark Renton (Ewan McGregor) returns to the only place he can ever call home. They are waiting for him: Spud (Ewen Bremner), Sick Boy (Jonny Lee Miller), and Begbie (Robert Carlyle). Other old friends are waiting too: sorrow, loss, joy, vengeance, hatred, friendship, love, longing, fear, regret, diamorphine, self-destruction and mortal danger, they are all lined up to welcome him, ready to join the dance.

I watched T1 so thought I might aswell watch T2. It was fun in parts, not as good as the original. Quite nostalgic in others, but without much depth and a storyline which Spud could have knocked out quite easily. I wouldn't rush to watch it and don't bother if you haven't seen the first one and have some kind of interest. As a standalone film its a bit shit.
Sausage Party.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1700841/

Quote:The products at Shopwell's Grocery Store are made to believe a code that helps them live happy lives until it's time for them to leave the comfort of the supermarket and head for the great beyond. However, after a botched trip to the great beyond leaves one sausage named Frank and his companion Bun stranded, Frank goes to great lengths (pun intended) to return to his package and make another trip to the great beyond. But as Frank's journey takes him from one end of the supermarket to the other, Frank's quest to discover the truth about his existence as a sausage turns incredibly dark. Can he expose the truth to the rest of the supermarket and get his fellow products to rebel against their human masters?

The guy who did this (Greg Tiernan) is a relation of mine. When we were kids we holidayed together, visited houses etc. He was always drawing cartoons. You could see his talent then. 
I've waited a while to see this film. Shouldn't have bothered. It's shite. One funny scene (used in the promo vids) and the rest is terrible. 

10 Cloverfield Lane

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179933/

Quote:After a car accident, Michelle awakens to find herself in a mysterious bunker with two men named Howard and Emmett. Howard offers her a pair of crutches to help her remain mobile with her leg injury sustained from the car crash and tells her to "get good on those" before leaving the bunker. She has been given the information that there has been an alien attack and the outside world is poisoned. However, Howard and Emmett's intentions soon become questionable and Michelle is faced with a question: Is it better in here or out there?

Another film I've waited to watch. After a slowish start the film gathers pace nicely and keeps you guessing throughout until the 'reveal'. Some nice twists and worth a watch.