Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Films worth a watch.
I've watched a few films which I'll add as I get chance (Spectre, Star Wars and others at home), but watched this last night ...

The Hateful 8.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3460252/

Quote:Some time after the Civil War, a stagecoach hurtles through the winery Wyoming landscape. Bounty hunter John Ruth and his fugitive captive Daisy Domergue race towards the town of Red Rock, where Ruth will bring Daisy to justice. Along the road, they encounter Major Marquis Warren an infamous bounty hunter; and Chris Mannix a man who claims to be Red Rocks new sheriff. Lost in a blizzard the bunch seek refuge at Minnie's haberdashery. When they arrive they are greeted by unfamiliar faces: Bob, who claims to be taking care of the place while Minnie is gone; Oswaldo Mobray, the hangman of red rock; Joe Gage, a cow puncher; and confederate general Sanford Smithers. As the storm overtakes the mountainside, the eight travelers come to learn that they might not make it to Red Rock after all...

It's a very very long film. And it's slow. You spend two and a half hours waiting for something, anything to happen. I'd have given up if it weren't for the fact I felt I should see it out once I passed an hour and a half. 

Essentially Tarantino finally consumes himself by serving up over three hours of shite with a finale that wasn't worth waiting for. 

Christ knows how it's got 8.1 on IMDb. I do wonder if these scores get 'fixed' the same way you can buy facebook and twitter followers/ likes. 

4/10 and thats very very generous. Bill (Kill Bill) would turn in his grave at this drivel. 
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Agree with you Paul I had high hopes with the imdb score and the cast but was really disappointed.
I'm glad you've put up a thread about The hateful 8 as I was going to go and see this, I don't think I'll bother now
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
I quite fancied seeing this, but not now.
Have to agree on Ted 2, it was very funny, and better than the first.

I'll wait for hatefull 8

Anybody recommend spectre, I'm planning a rare visit to the flicks for this, is it worth it ?
All the gear, No idea.

[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Too many to remember
(01-05-2016, 10:50 PM)Yogi Wrote: Anybody recommend spectre, I'm planning a rare visit to the flicks for this, is it worth it ?

Yes. I think it is. I enjoyed it at the cinema and was watching it again at home the other night with the boy. If thats enough info for you, then don't read on! 

I've left a gap so you don't read my review by accident Big Grin  ....

Spectre

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2379713/

Quote:A cryptic message from the past sends James Bond on a rogue mission to Mexico City and eventually Rome, where he meets Lucia, the beautiful and forbidden widow of an infamous criminal. Bond infiltrates a secret meeting and uncovers the existence of the sinister organisation known as SPECTRE. Meanwhile back in London, Max Denbigh, the new head of the Centre of National Security, questions Bond's actions and challenges the relevance of MI6 led by M. Bond covertly enlists Moneypenny and Q to help him seek out Madeleine Swann, the daughter of his old nemesis Mr White, who may hold the clue to untangling the web of SPECTRE. As the daughter of the assassin, she understands Bond in a way most others cannot. As Bond ventures towards the heart of SPECTRE, he learns a chilling connection between himself and the enemy he seeks.

I've changed the IMDb plot info ^^ to white so not to spoil it for Yogi. If you want to see the details, just highlight the area and you can read it. 

I've enjoyed Craigs Bond films because they are Bond films, but not taken to his 'thug in a suit' portrayal of James Bond. I've felt he is more like a Jason Bourne character, searching for his identity through violence. I've missed the 'gadgets and iconic villains' and thought the finale to Skyfall was ridiculous. (James Bond does Home Alone anyone). 

I went to the pictures not expecting too much from Spectre, but came away very pleased. For me it's Craigs best Bond film and doffed it's cap to past film plots and characters throughout. It 'felt' like a proper Bond film with all the old ingredients. Pure escapism and daft scenarios any sane person would run a mile from. Won't say too much as I don't want to spoil it, but I really enjoyed the film and it puts the franchise back into wonderful, typical Bond territory for the next installment. 
I loved it and will be watching it again and again just like I always do with 'proper' Bond films.  Cool  Big Grin
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
The Revenant.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663202/

Quote:Inspired by true events, THE REVENANT captures one man's epic adventure of survival and the extraordinary power of the human spirit. In an expedition of the uncharted American wilderness, legendary explorer Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) is brutally attacked by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team. In a quest to survive, Glass endures unimaginable grief as well as the betrayal of his confidant John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy). Guided by sheer will and the love of his family, Glass must navigate a vicious winter in a relentless pursuit to live and find redemption.

Another long film at over 2.5 hours, but thankfully did have more to keep you invested than the Hateful 8. That said, it was still one of those films you need to have a cinematography appreciation of to really enjoy it. Some of the filming/scenery (like the Hateful 8) is a reason to watch it. (Assuming that is your 'thing')

The story itself is very brutal in places. Like the Hateful 8 it has been brought to screen to be an 'Epic Western'. TBH it doesn't hit the spot for me. I thought it was OK. Certainly a lot better than the Hateful 8, but I had to make myself keep up with it at times. Aliya watched it with me and she left it after about an hour, preferring to find her phone and play around with that with one eye on the film waiting for something interesting to happen - then she was engaged again. I'd normally say that relates to a teenagers attention span being short, but I can understand why she got bored with it. At times it was slow, tough going for both the male lead and the person watching. 
No doubt like the Hateful 8 this will get plenty of critical acclaim as it has had money poured into it in the hope it will be accepted as an 'Epic'. Strong, very good cast but not an 'Epic' for me. But, perhaps thats a reflection of my film taste as I wouldn't put it at an 8.1 (as IMDb does).  

Hamilton - In the Interest of the Nation. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856014/

Quote:Special agent Hamilton goes undercover and joins a Russian mafia organization that smuggles swedish weapons to terrorists. Suddenly they are attacked by unknown group of heavily armed men who kill everybody except Hamilton and take the weapons. But who are they? And who are they working for? Hamilton starts chasing them across the world...

Fancied a 'Spy Movie' and this popped up on Netflix so decided to give it a go. Not bad tbh. Quite enjoyed it, so much so that I watched the second one straight after this. 
It is subtitled in parts, but 'normal' in others so easy to follow. Sort of a Swedish Bond/Bourne mix. Not with the same budget which shows, but the plot/ storyline is good and there are some familiar faces that pop up. 

Hamilton - But not if it concerns your daughter.

[url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856047/[/<a href=""></a>]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856047/[/[/url]

*Edit* I did three film reviews. Previewed them , then posted and the forum has eaten two of the reviews. Cant be arsed doing it all again. 
Creed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3076658/

Quote:Adonis Johnson is the son of the famous boxing champion Apollo Creed, who died in a boxing match in Rocky IV (1985). Adonis wasn't born until after his father's death and wants to follow his fathers footsteps in boxing. He seeks a mentor who is the former heavyweight boxing champion and former friend of Apollo Creed, the retired Rocky Balboa. Rocky eventually agrees to mentor Adonis. With Rocky's help they hope to get a title job to face even deadlier opponents than his father. But whether he is a true fighter remains to be seen....

Essentially it's another Rocky film. Better than many that came before it, with cap doffed to the first film quite a lot. If you liked the better Rocky films then you will enjoy this. Not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, but a good watch.
Legend.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3569230/

Quote:The film tells the story of the identical twin gangsters Reggie and Ronnie Kray, two of the most notorious criminals in British history, and their organised crime empire in the East End of London during the 1960s.
Focusing on the relationship between Reggie Kray and Frances Shea, told from France's' point of view as someone who knew him best, as well as the mental health issues Ronnie Kray faced and their rise to power as the notorious gangsters of London.

Tom Hardy is such a good actor. He plays both Kray twins in this and does a very good job. As I did you probably know the story of the Krays in enough detail to be watching the film to see how this particular film interprets events. I watched it with Yaz and we both enjoyed it. Thats pretty good going as Yaz normally disappears within 30 mins of a film starting complaining that its violent or too gory. Whilst this does have a fairly violent theme, you expect it because you know how vicious the Krays were. Great film, well worth a watch.