Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone using 'Nest', 'Hive' or 'Tado' smart heating thermostats?
Wow. Nov 2014 I installed Tado. So thats now best part of 6 years using it. Its still here, but we have had to disable all of the geo location. The app just kept falling down and keeping a phone logged as 'IN' all day, so keeping the heating on. I did speak to Tado support, but they have now gone that far up their own arses they prefer to argue that it couldn't possibly be their problem rather than sort it out.
Tado have also gone through internal changes and have moved their business model on to you having to pay monthly. Good for them but piss poor for the customer. I think that is maybe why I hit a brick wall. Mine is the last of the systems which do not require subscription. As the subscription they do is heavily weighted to geo location - surprise surprise the folk who get that free are having regular problems with it. No doubt an upgrade to the latest (more costly) Tado system would fix it. Cnuts.  

So, Tado is now a smart thermometer which works at set times (and through Alexa, Siri, mobiles / app). It just isn't as smart as it used to be. Shame really. Its no doubt paid for itself, so I'll swap it out when I replace our boiler. Thats getting on now and despite being rebuilt via warranty claims (through insurance) its probably costing us far more than we should be paying. It won't be seeing another winter after this one.

Whereas in the past I would have recommended Tado without question - I'd now say research which is best and if geo-location is important to you (for me it is) then avoid Tado. It cannot keep track of iPhones (7, 8 and 11pro) or Google Pixel without fecking it up on a daily basis - so ultimately you have to disable that part of the system.
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
Sounds like they want you to open your wallet.

My system on the other hand is still working perfectly whether my phone is in the house or away from it.

[Image: 466-4669958_stick-on-off-switch-hd-png-download.png]
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad
Can you at least add a wifi plug so you can control the switch through your mobile! Wink Lol
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007
(10-09-2020, 04:08 PM)Kingy Wrote: Can you at least add a wifi plug so you can control the switch through your mobile! Wink Lol

In a word.........NOPE Big Grin
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg]
Cadwell 2011/ Angelsey2011/ Cadwell 2013 (this one hurt) and retired me Sad