The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broke my laptop so this will be the 'fixit' thread.
Left work late last night after fixing my rear brake (pushbike) which was sticking. Did a tough ride over to Marple, New Mills, Hayfield and over Chunal to Glossop. 20 miles in just over an hour with a strong headwind all the way around.
Got home, showered and sorted tea out. In the meatime fired the laptop up to upload the ride data. Was in and out of the front room and quickly perched on an armchair, laptop on knee to connect my GPS watch. As I did that I sneezed. Laptop started to fall and my hand was covering my mouth (post sneeze) so I watched the laptop hit the floor in slow motion! Aaaaagggg! Dodgy

Initially thought I'd got away with it. No signs of damage. Wandered back into the kitchen and sorted my meal out.

Went back to sort the ride data out and noticed the laptop wasn't charging.
I've either broke the charger (£20 for a Tosh one with warranty off ebay - expensive but will work and won't fubar the laptop) OR broken the CD power jack (£2.89 off ebay).
Given the charger is an expensive option if it's not that I've ordered a DC jack to replace that first. If the laptop still doesn't work I'll try a new charger.

So, I've started this thread as I've never attempted to repair a laptop before.
A quick google says I need to take all drives out, the keyboard off, cover off and about a million tiny screws to get to the DC cable. I'm very good at taking things to bits, but my track record for putting them back together again (and them working) is not so good. This never deters me though!

So, I'll add a few pics and posts once I have the part and get going.

In the meantime - What do you all reckon?

Who feels I am more than capable of sorting this simple DIY job out? Big Grin
[Image: Crashtestmonkeyredsmall_zpsfc1e3d39.jpg] Croft 2005, Cadwell 2006, Cadwell 2007

Messages In This Thread
Broke my laptop so this will be the 'fixit' thread. - Kingy - 01-28-2015, 11:32 AM