ThrottleMonkey
What are your day jobs? - Printable Version

+- ThrottleMonkey (http://dw4n.com/ThM)
+-- Forum: The Two Wheeled Monkey forum .... (http://dw4n.com/ThM/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Chat and Banter and Sillyness! Anything goes. (http://dw4n.com/ThM/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: What are your day jobs? (/showthread.php?tid=89)

Pages: 1 2 3

What are your day jobs? - nuggiebok - 10-03-2014

As it has been a while for me since I visited the TM forum, I'd like to get to know you all again. So, what do you all do for a living? Do you enjoy your job? What would you do if you could do anything and if money was no object?

I'll start. I'm still a PC in Gloucestershire and I work on traffic. I love my job, despite the Police Service changing a lot over the last 10 years. I wish I was paid more for what we have to do on a daily basis, but then who doesn't. I am still patiently waiting for a bike course...

If money was no object I'd like to work with dogs, either in a kennels/rescue centre, or training and obedience. I'd also love to own a cafe in the high street, and do face painting for children's parties.

Over to you...

RE: What are your day jobs? - Kingy - 10-03-2014

Run a packaging company ... http://www.kingpak.co.uk ...
Started it with my father in 1993. Its tying (we run 24 hours Monday to Friday 6am) and there is lots of pressure but we've made a good living out of it, life sort of fits around it nicely and we're pretty good at it, which helps. I like the responsibility but would love better holidays. (We 'shutdown' for a week three times a year so getting away with Yaz and the kids is never easy).

Money no object. Buy properties (as in streets/urban regeneration), renovate and rent out. As I'm minted I'd just be dealing with decision making not getting my hands dirty and would be working 2-3 days a week. Loads of running/cycling and plenty of time off just because I can. Smile

RE: What are your day jobs? - croweman - 10-03-2014

Train driver since 1994 various companies started on local routes, then went to Transpennine and now work for Virgin doing Manchester to London. Great job but does have its downsides.

Money no object, stop driving trains the shifts are a killer. Buy a house in the lakes and relax 6 months out of the year. The other 6 make a nuisance of myself on the lanes and roads in the peak district. Smile

RE: What are your day jobs? - Rocket - 10-03-2014

Full time dad at the moment ... Hardest job I have ever had ok I worked in IT before so it was never that hard.

Money no object same job just more toys

RE: What are your day jobs? - jollyjoiner - 10-03-2014

Self employed Joiner, but do all aspects of property repairs Smile

RE: What are your day jobs? - ziggy - 10-03-2014

I work for social services, adult protection section. So you'd better all behave.....

RE: What are your day jobs? - BB - 10-03-2014

I'm still trying to keep the street lights lit Idea

RE: What are your day jobs? - Feen - 10-04-2014

Got out of the bike trade and back into precision engineering where i try and sell stuff to customers!

we do high helix lead and ball screws and linear products - basically moving stuff from position A to position B but we do it very precisely (some of our system measure to 0.1 micron), customers include car manufacturers, hm forces, aerospace and medical industries. we also have an extensive machine shop

i spend alot of time all over the UK visiting our customers to help with new projects and / or resolving problems and developing new customers and supply chains.

My bosses brother does own a bike shop Moore Speed Racing so can still help out if you guys need any bits (rizoma / victory & indian main dealer)

RE: What are your day jobs? - speedymadR6 - 10-04-2014

Currently unemployed and have enjoyed a wonderful summer of sun, family and bikes. However the money won't last forever and I will have to return to the world of financial advice very soon, have 3 definite offers and awaiting on a couple more so will have to make a decision soon.

Enjoy the challenges of my job with no two days the same.

RE: What are your day jobs? - Yogi - 10-04-2014

Electrical engineer by trade, I am self employed and have a small company, Star EMB we mainly install industrial systems and equipment to automate production. We also install CCTV systems and industrial and commercial lifts. I travel all over the country and Ireland with occasional trips to the continent, and by keeping the overheads down and the margins up, I've been doing alright in the 8 years I have been trading. Have just diversified into rental property and have 7 so far with one in the pipeline, the target is 10 and that will cover the kids university funds and hopefully provide a pension, not that I'll ever retire, it would be nice to slow down a bit though.

If I win the lottery I would buy a local farm and start an equestrian livery and riding school, I know nothing about horses but the missus has had a horse for a few years now. It is plain to see that the people who run these yards have not got a clue about running a business, and they are potential gold mines that don't take a lot of running, and let's face it women and money are easily parted. Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I do both the euro lottery and the national lottery !! I won £2.90 last week.